Chapter 46

Lilith woke up to the smell of cinnamon rolls, despite the heaviness that surrounded her, she couldn't help but smile a little. Mama always made cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning and she was glad that Darry didn't forget. Lil went over the Clara and gently shook her arm, "Clara, wake up."

Clara groaned and rolled over, "tired," she grumbled.

"Come on, Clara, it's Christmas," Lil pulled on her friend's arm.

"Tired," she grumbled louder.

Lil knew enough to back off.  She slipped on her dad's Dodgers sweatshirt and crept toward the kitchen.  Darry and Linda were at the small kitchen table, sipping on coffee.  A memory of her mama and daddy sitting at that same table with the same mugs flooded her mind and she felt that longing ache in her chest.  The oven's buzzer jarred Lilith out of her thoughts and she stole her brother's chair as he went to pull the cinnamon rolls out.

"Merry Christmas, Lil," Linda smiled gently at the little girl.

"Merry Christmas," replied Lil as she reached for a cinnamon roll.

"Hey," Darry moved the plate, "we're waiting for everyone else to wake up."

Lil poured, "that's not fair. Sodapop and Ponyboy sleep forever!"

Darry smirked at her, "they can't sleep forever if you go jump on them."

Lil darted out of the kitchen. With a high pitched squeal, she pounced onto the bed, "wake up wake up wake up!!" She bounced on the bed each time she spoke.

"Lil..." Ponyboy groaned, "go away," he rolled over; making Lil almost fall off the bed.

She yanked the covers off of her two older brothers, "Darry made cinnamon rolls! And I want one, but he said we have to wait til you boneheads get up!"  Soda sat up and tickled her ribs. Lil squirmed, "Soda! Stop!" She cried out between gasps of laughter. She was able to wiggle out of his grasp and ran down the hall, squealing. The Curtis brothers followed after her, each relieved to hear and see her smile again.
——————————

Wrapping paper covered the floor as the gang finished up exchanging presents. Clara was given a new doll, a few puzzle, books, and a new coloring set. Lil had opened a new baseball mitt and a new bat. She was given a new doll that matched Clara's. She wasn't overly sure what to think about it, but Clara seemed excited, so Lil figured it wasn't too bad.

Steve had gotten Pony a new switchblade and Pony had gotten Steve some classic car books. Linda bought Darry a new tool belt and he bought her a diamond pendant necklace. Decks of cards and packs of smokes were all handed to the other boys.

After the presents had been open, Linda and Darry slipped out the door. They walked hand in hand down the street, "thank you," Darry stopped and turned toward Linda.

"For what?"

"For everything" he motioned back toward the house, "we couldn't have done this without you."

Linda blushed, "Darry, you don't have to thank me. I loved doing it. I adore Lil and Clara. I love your brothers and the gang has definitely grown on me."

Darry knelt down on one knee, "Linda, I know we haven't been together all that long, but I can't imagine being with anyone else."  He pulled a small box out of his pocket, "will you marry me?"

Linda's eyes filled up with tears, "yes, 100 times over, yes!"  Darry slipped the ring onto their finger.  It had belonged to his mother.  Darry knew that his mother would be honored to have Linda wear her ring.

Darry wrapped Linda in his arms, "I love you.  You make me a better man.  I don't know what I would do with out you."

Linda's eyes sparkled with tears, "I love you too."  They shared a kiss as a light snow began to sprinkle around them.