1. If you thought this job would be easy

Principal Murray was beet-red and breathing heavily as he barged into his office's waiting room. After poking his head out of the entrance and looking both ways, seemingly checking if nobody had followed him, he pulled the door closed. 

I shut the book I'd been reading in my lap and cleared my throat. "Uh, Mr. Murray, are you okay?" 

Despite us having an appointment today to discuss my tutoring work, it appeared Mr. Murray hadn't expected anyone to be sitting in his waiting room. He jolted, almost leaping into the air. Whirling around, his wide eyes behind thick-rimmed glasses settled on me.

"Oh, Xavier, it's you." Mr. Murray clutched his chest and breathed out deeply before smoothing a hand through his thinning, grey hair. "I hadn't expected you here this early, bud! I thought you'd sleep in and were coming in the afternoon. Sorry, I'm a little—never mind." He forced a smile. "Thank you for being here, Xavier. We were thrilled to hear that would stay with us here at Pinewood school for a year longer."

I smiled. "I'm happy to be here too. Thanks for giving the tutoring job to me. I know I was far from the only one who wanted it." 

Honestly, Mr. Murray was helping me as much as I was helping him by offering me the job. My parents wouldn't let me freeload forever now that I had graduated high school and decided to delay going to college. I needed a temporary job, at least until I had decided what I'd do next year. Tutoring was perfect for me. Without bragging, I'd never had any issues with any subject in school, and I already knew every student personally. 

Mr. Murray's smile became a little more genuine-looking. "Please, the pleasure is all mine. You were one of our best students, and I'm very aware a strapping young man like you could've easily earned some extra cash anywhere. I know it disappointed Bob you didn't go to him for a job."

I laughed awkwardly. Breaking my back at Bob's woodworking shop didn't sound alluring, and 'strapping' wasn't quite the right word to describe my noodle arms. I wasn't as skinny anymore as I used to be, but the men who worked at Bob's shop had arms the size of my head. Which was actually a good argument to work there, as my friend Iris had told me, because I frequently complained I had to exercise more.

"I don't think woodworking is my thing," I said. "But I am more than ready to tutor students. So, if you can get me the lists of students, their subjects, and my schedule, I'm happy to start preparing classes."

"Yes, of course. I've already prepared everything. I'll print your schedule right away," Mr. Murray said. He walked to his office's door, but stopped and turned to me before entering. "Say, Xavier would you perhaps be willing to take on more... guidance tasks?"

I blinked. "That depends. What tasks are we talking about? I'm not educated to give psychological help or anything," I said. "That's more our school counsellor's domain."

Mr. Murray laughed nervously. "I don't think this is a job for Mrs. Brown... You know, kid, sometimes it's better for guys your age to have a peer as a buddy. I'm not asking you to be a psychologist. I just want you to keep an extra eye on a new student and make sure he's settling in well."

"A new student?" I repeated, surprised. "You mean someone from outside of Pinewood, then?"

New students in Pinewood's high school were a rare occasion. Sometimes, adults moved to our town, but usually kids were born here, or the movers were older and their children were already grown, too.

"Yes," Mr. Murray confirmed. "A young man who is only here for his senior year of high school. He moved in with his uncle Boris a few days ago. We weren't informed he'd be here either until the very last minute." Mr. Murray sighed deeply. "But, of course, we don't turn away a student seeking an education. Especially not if he's related to one of our own."