11. If the paw fits

I was very lucky that the worst of the headaches and nausea subsided within a few days. The doctor also confirmed I was recovering well and could start doing light activities again, and I couldn't wait. I'd already been bored with staying in bed and resting from the get-go.

The first thing I did once I'd assured my parents I wouldn't be going near any cliffs alone, was take a walk to Boris' house. I needed to talk to him about his nephew's strange habits, but, I also wanted to thank Aquila again for his help with a small gift. I had no idea what he'd like to receive though, which was another question for Boris.

It was ten in the morning and Aquila was in school (Iris had confirmed he was being his charming, grouchy self and responded gruffly to any attempt to question or thank him, like I'd expected), so I could speak with his uncle alone. He was likely at work in his workshop, which was the building next to his actual house.

As I walked around back, I noticed Boris had finished his garden fence. A high whining sound of a wood shaver came from the workshop, confirming my hunch that Boris was at work there. The workshop's door was open, and I stepped inside.

Boris' back was turned towards me and there was no way he could've heard me enter over the loud machine, but the man had always had an uncanny way of 'sensing' someone was in the room with him. Switching off his wood shaver, Boris turned around. A lopsided smile appeared on his face when he saw me. "If it isn't Xavier!" he greeted me. "Morning. Aren't you supposed to be in bed?"

"Morning. No, the doctor gave me the ok to go on strolls," I replied with a grin. "Just not near cliffs."

Boris barked out a laugh. "That's good, that's good," he said. "What can I help you with, kid? If It doesn't take too long, I can do it now, but this job is urgent so I can't take on any big jobs today."

"Oh, no, I don't have a job for you. I just wanted to talk for a moment." I looked at the rows of already treated planks stored in the back. "But I can come back later. Are you making another fence? I thought your fence outside looked pretty finished."

"It is. This one is for you," Boris replied, pointing at me. 

"For me?"

"Yeah, Bob and I are expanding the fencing around the cliffs since the current ones weren't sufficient."

I felt a flush spread across my cheeks. "Oh, I really don't think that's necessary," I started sputtering, but Boris waved away my protests.

"Nonsense, we wouldn't want anyone else falling down there," he said. "You were very lucky my nephew happened to be walking in the valley, else you wouldn't be here talking to me now."

"That's true," I had to admit.

Boris shook his head.  "Ah but don't mind me. You came here because you wanted to talk, right? I'll finish this wooden plank and I'll be right inside. Go fill the kettle, will you?"

"Of course, will do."

I saluted Boris, turned, and walked into his kitchen to do as he asked. Once I'd filled the kettle and turned it on, I walked on to the dining table and took a seat. My gaze wandered across the room. Not much had changed since last time—the same pair of shoes was still in the windowsill and the same carton boxes were scattered across the floor. A box with flour, a box with old books... My eyes shot back to the old books when I saw a little black spine that stood out. Wait, was that what I thought it was?

No, probably not. That would be super coincidental.

Still, I couldn't resist taking a peek at the book. I stood and walked over to the carton box. Casting a glance over my shoulder in the workshop's direction, I grabbed the little black book and immediately, I saw I was right.