Chapter 23: Cursed part 3 - Conclusion

Silence is like cancer grows...

"Lucifer," Chloe choked out fearfully.

Seeing Chloe storm into the office followed by Amenadiel snapped Lucifer back to reality. His dark eyes are full of shock as he gasped at both of them.

Linda quickly stepped in front of her patient. "What are you doing here? How did you even get in? The doors locked an hour ago?"

Amenadiel's gaze dropped to the floor, his face a picture of guilt.

Linda's jaw dropped open as realization sank in they had been here since then and heard everything.

"I'm so sorry, we can explain...I wouldn't have barged in but I thought..." Chloe trembled.

"What? That I would use hellfire on her?" Lucifer choked out with a touch of hysteria in his voice.

Chloe looked at Lucifer with worry, she shook her head. "I just thought..." her voice trailed off.

The doctor reproachfully stared down Chloe and Amenadiel. She said firmly with anger dripping from every word, "I know who he is and I know about the red eyes and the hellfire. I wasn't in danger but you both have behaved reprehensibly and you need to leave immediately!"

Chloe nodded and backed towards the door. Her tormented gaze on Lucifer. "I'm so sorry."

Amenadiel took a step towards him, "It's my fault I never..."

Lucifer snapped. "Get out! Get out!" He took a ragged breath running his hand over his face. "Be proud of yourselves - you've both added to the long list of betrayals in my life!" He suddenly realized why he had bled - the detective had been close by. "You...!" His black eyes bore into Chloe. "I thought you were different...I thought I could..."

"It's not her fault, Luci," Amenadiel choked taking a step toward him.

"Don't! Unless you want me to incinerate you right here and now!" Lucifer threatened; violence welling in the ebony depths of his eyes as he glowered at his brother.

Chloe's eyes welled with tears. She knew they had to leave -- she had made a horrific mistake interrupting. She'd broken his trust. He'd never forgive her. "I'm sorry, we didn't mean to overhear, Lucifer..." she pleaded.

Shattered, his eyes were like pools brimming with bottomless hurt. He stammered quietly, "Just go, please."

Linda quietly assured them, "I'll take care of him."

Chloe nodded gratefully. "I'm sorry," her voice cracked as she turned to push an equally devastated Amenadiel back and close the door.

Seeing Chloe and his brother and knowing they had heard everything put Lucifer over the edge. A wave of nausea coursed through him and he tore into the bathroom throwing up all he had previously eaten. Shaken and drained he went to the sink washed out his mouth and ran cold water over his face when the pressure that had been welling in his chest since the day prior exploded. He fell to the floor shaking and gasping for breath. He screamed STOP into the air wanting everything to just go away. Eons in hell had been a breeze compared to this. He suddenly felt Linda's hands come to rest gently on his shoulders reminding him he wasn't alone. His breaths became less ragged and slower as he regained a decorum of control. Silently she got up to the sink, he could hear water running but had no desire to lift his head. He felt her sit beside him again as she put a cold wet cloth on the back of his neck. She put her arm lightly on his back. "I'm sorry Lucifer, I thought you were ready."

He took a gulping breath and met Linda's eyes.

When those now calmer black eyes met hers she put her professionalism aside and pulled him to her.