Prologue

'Fergana!' his sister exclaimed, the two children playing in bliss ran free of pressure of being kingdoms one day. One was the heir, the son—despite being two years younger. His sister was the eldest, unfairly her right to the throne was taken away due to her gender. He felt angry whenever he though about it, he felt she deserved it more. Alas, he'd be a kingdom while she remained a mere human. Fergana was caught up to by his sister, Khanzada, soon enough. She tackled him as he screeched in childish fun, being more mature she was slightly frustrated by his actions. 'Father has called you and here you are scaring away crows! You're coming with me!' She said as she grabbed him by his arm, pulling him up. 'And I don't want to go, you can't take me!' 'I very well can.'

Khanzada dragged Fergana back into the market square leading into the palace, of which their father looked down searching for them from the balcony. A smile spread across his face as he spotted the two at the palace entrance. He soon went inside to wait there for them, knowing it would take a few minutes longer due to the kids' bickering. His wife, Qutlugh was there as well, as the voice of their children grew louder. 'Those two can't bare a second without each other, when together always fight' Qutlugh complained. Umar Shaikh giggled to that, 'What else can you expect from a pair of brother and sister where one is stubborn while other is overly mature?'

Khanzada stopped for a moment to control Fergana's squealing to make her let go of him. Soon enough she was dragging him by holding both his arms as he protested, thoroughly annoying her. She did manage to bring him into the court room, where she let go of him and he fell to the ground. Fergana looked up at her quietly, Khanzada glared back. He began to grin, proud of himself for annoying her. 'Oh just stop it with that stupid smile of yours,' Khanzada said. 'Babur,' Qutlugh called to her son, 'Khanzada, both of you took longer than needed'. Fergana stood up and attempted to make himself appear more formal and like he hadn't been dragged into the court room. Khanzada stood still, thinking of an appropriate way to offend her brother.

Umar Shaikh then cleared his throat, 'Both of you have some duties today, for now, Babur will be coming with me. Qutlugh will tell you, your duties for today Khanzada'.

'Yes, Abbu'

Responded the siblings, Khanzada being pity on not getting back at Fergana for the trouble he caused her. As instructed, Fergana followed Umar into the palace garden. 'You really prefer being outside of the palace than the inside, don't you?' Umar joked. Fergana giggled and nodded his head, feeling happy to be somewhere free, even if it were in an enclosed garden within the walls of a colossal fort. 'Well, then you'd be even happier if you were in Hindustan' Umar commented, much to Fergana's confusion. 'Hindustan?' He questioned his father.

'It's a land down south, too far away for us to take a glimpse, it's much like a golden bird' Umar Shaikh explained, a sparkle appeared in Fergana's eyes at the description. 'Rich with culture, the people there speak a tongue which by many cannot be understood. They are unique, different in many ways but known throughout this world. They really are free, afterall the land of Hindustan is bigger than anything we've ever seen'

Fergana was excited now, he wanted to know more about this land which was still ever so mysterious to him. 'Do they speak Persian there?' He asked, fully in delight to know more. Umar nodded, looking at his son and making eye contact with him. 'Some do, others don't'. 'It has always been my dream to see it's people, touch it's soil and live it's life. But, for us, that is near impossible'. Fergana's face distorted to Umar's last line, but a part of his mind was day dreaming of what the land would be like. 'Why is it near impossible, Abbu?'

'It's too far and too strong, an internal revolt and a large army are needed to bring it down to put a step onto the soil'. 'Isn't ours large enough?' Fergana asked, still hanging onto the seemingly false hope that one day he could live in Hindustan. 'Not nearly, we've already lost Samarkhand' Umar responded, much to the disappointment of his son. From behind came the sound of dainty footsteps, catching the attention of both father and son. It was the military general, who Fergana often called 'Khan baba'.

'Sire, we have some news from Shaibani Khan'. Khan baba's face turned to one of rage at the mere mention of Shaibani Khan, Umar hummed and went along presumably to the court. Before leaving, he ruffled his son's orange-ish red hair, to which hee didn't have any reaction. Fergana stood there, now staring at the ground. He was lost in his thoughts, still thinking of the golden bird. He wanted to see it, feel it's soil and live it's life the same way his father dreamed of it. He sat down, staring at the kingdom confined within the walls of a fort. His father's dream of Hindustan has now been passed down to him, the thought of being free in such a land gave him some peace.

Meanwhile, Umar sat on his throne in the court room, half aware of what the news would be. Khan baba spoke, 'Shaibani Khan has become Samarkhand now. The only way to regain the kingdom is by killing him and joining the two kingdoms together, meaning that Fergana gets to inherit the two kingdoms as one'. Umar sighed, knowing the burden would double on his son. He didn't want to force his son into giving up his real personality to be a 'suitable' king, he knew Fergana was more of a person who was always meant to be free. Khanzada was the one borne to rule, but alas traditions and courtiers wouldn't let that happen. Something in his gut itched thinking about it, as if it would end up in all the wrong ways.

Maybe it would've been better to disobey traditions and let the one borne to rule become the queen, but was it too late to think of that?

'Sire?'

Umar was withdrawn from his thoughts, mentally brought back into the court. 'If that is what is required, then so be it'. Whispers grew among the courtiers, only to be silenced when dismissed by Umar. He knew Qutlugh wouldn't like the news, especially when she finds out the amount of pressure it would put onto their son when he'd be of age. But there was another person he'd have to talk to, Aisan Daulat. The grandmother of his kids, she was a picky and stone hearted woman who'd do anything in the name of her kingdom. Umar knew Aisan saw him poorly, considering him a weak ruler for losing Samarkhand. But there was nothing her could do, except try fit her standards. Already she didn't like him for being too emotional, beyond that he had no royal blood. She was the wife of the previous king, and Qutlugh was her eldest daughter. Aisan had pressurized the two into having a son, to prevent another commoner from becoming king. At the same time she refused to let Khanzada rule as Queen, he always felt it was unfair for her. But Aisan ran the family, she made the rules and made sure traditions would be followed no matter what.

But those traditions ruined the life of...