three.

Back with another one! Ignore any mistakes & thank you for reading <3

TW: brief use of a homophobic slur, we all know the one. Also some very brief allusions to panic attacks/panic disorders

:::::::::::

"Down, set, hut!"

He sets off from his mark and runs to catch up and tackle number 7, Sammy Jones, a senior with a heart of gold but an absolute machine on the field. Ashton pushed himself to try tackle but just as he thought he'd got the guy Sammy stepped quicker, letting Ashtons fingers just graze against him sending Ashton to the floor in a tumble.

"Come on!" A distant voice yelled, Ashton huffed at the ground and slammed his fist down before getting himself up. He looked towards the stands where Rob was overseeing the practice. For a man that didn't really give two shits about Ashton he sure loved to sit in on practices, reliving his glory days or something.

It took a few more failed tackles before Rob was calling him over with a rough "hey! Get over here!" Ashton cast a passing glance over at the other team celebrating, eyes flitting over the few members of the cheer team still left on the field, he wanted the ground to swallow him up when he saw Luke curiously peeking over at the noise.

Rob yelled again and Ashton bit his tongue as he jogged over. When he was within arms reach Rob grabbed at his helmet and yanked him in.
"What the hell was that? What're you doing?" He hissed "that boy just made you look like an idiot!"

"He's fast-" Ashton tried,

"It's ridiculous that you think anyone would even think about handing you a scholarship." Ashton recoiled from Rob slightly. "That was fuckin' embarrassing!"

By now Ashton could practically feel the eyes on him, "now come on! Get out there n' show me somethin'" Rob smacked the side of his helmet, jerking his head sharply to the side. Ashton winced but nodded and returned to the field.

It was barely ten minutes before Rob was back hollering from across the field, this time though his attention focused on Calum.

"That's it! Nice one Cal!" Calum glanced over at the man with a tight smile beneath his helmet, sending an awkward thumbs up his way. Ashton on the other hand grit his teeth and huffed.

He cracked his neck waiting for Jacks signal to go, as soon as he leapt from his position he ran for Sammy again only this time he got wiped out from the side, when he heard the whistle blow he ripped the helmet from his head and ruffled his sweaty curls.

"All right, practice is over! Hit the showers boys!" Ashton went to follow the other guys but got pulled back by a furious Rob.

"You can't be serious? What the hell was that?" He growled, hand darting out to grip at the front of Ashtons jersey.

"I slipped- I mean c'mon he's fast!" Ashton a year ago would've never even bothered speaking back at Rob but after putting on some muscle he had at least enough confidence to try.

"He's fast-" Rob scoffed and shook his head.

"Look, it won't happen again-"

"God I don't even know why I bother comin' to these. That Hood boys the only one worth watching! Bet his parents are fuckin' proud." He spat,

"Hey, man c'mon, Ash is just having a rough day-" Calum called out as he jogged up to meet the pair.

"Cal, back off." Ashton warned. Calum being Calum didn't take the hint.