03

𝐌𝐎𝐎𝐃𝐒𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐒
03 - blazer
________

"Fuck, oh- I- sorry," Luke mumbled once his eyes darted down to where his beer had stained her entire white silky dress, leaving her chest wet and smelling like the alcoholic beverage. "I'm so sorry, Emerson."

The brunette let out an awkward chuckle, her arms slightly spread and a hand reaching inside of her purse to grab some tissues. "It's fine, no worries."

Her voice was quiet as she dabbed the tissues along her chest in the hopes it would soak up some of the beer left on her bare skin before it dried up and would leave her even more sticky.

Luke watched her as she dried herself off, feeling guilty for ruining her pretty dress. He had to admit, the stain on the silky fabric wasn't even seeking for attention because her beautiful face was still the only thing he kept looking at.

Her eyes were filled with a sparkle of happiness, although Luke was aware he was definitely not the reason for that at this moment. Lips were plump and glossed, but in a straight line as she crumpled up her dirty tissue and pressed it into her empty glass so she was able to get rid of it as soon as she came back into the crowded bar.

Emerson felt Luke's curious gaze on her and she didn't dare to look up at first, but there was nobody else in the damn hallway and she hated the fact Crystal didn't come look for Emerson herself. No one in the hallway meant that Luke also knew his ex-girlfriend had to look up at him soon enough.

"You look nice," Luke mumbled quietly, stuffing his hands inside the pockets of his black pinstripe blazer jacket. "I mean- not with the stain of course, but- I'm sorry I'm rambling."

His rambles caused Emerson to look up at him and meet his gaze, a chuckle falling from her lips. It felt comfortable, Luke rambling and Emerson calming his nerves down by assuring him it was all okay. Usually that was the case in their relationship, but with them parted and sharing a radio silence between the two of them these past few years - it felt kinda different.

"Thanks anyway," The brunette smiled softly, looking down at her dress, "I know we may not like each other but I didn't expect you to hate me so much you'd waste your beer on me."

Luke could her the teasing hint of playfulness in her voice and it caused some relief wash over him. He didn't know what would happen if he'd run into Emerson, because well - let's be honest, they parted their ways in the most horrible way possible.

It caused him to chuckle and shake his head lightly as he tried to contain the growing smile by biting his bottom lip, "Stop that," He told her genuinely, while shrugging off his blazer jacket and handing it to her, "I could never hate you," His gaze dropped down towards the thick fabric in his hands, "You can wear this if you want, to like- maybe try to hide the stain a little."

"Is that the alcohol speaking? You're being quite sappy, Luke," She laughed softly, fingers twisting the small silver ring on her middle finger as an attempt to calm her nerves before she reached for the jacket Luke handed out. Her hand softly brushed his and she genuinely hoped it wasn't clammy, because that would make her feel pathetic. "Thank you, that's kind."

The curly haired guy shook his head nearly immediately after she asked him that question, clearing his throat to spare him some time to think of an answer. The way his name rolled off her tongue so easily made the shivers run down his spine and his hands tremble slightly.

"No, no. I may be a little shitfaced," He spoke up jokingly, swirling the remnants of his beer around in the glass before looking back at her, "But I'm pretty sure drunk words are sober thoughts, aren't they?"

His drunken eyes held some warmth to them and the look he gave Emerson made her stomach flip. Luke's ocean blue eyes were glassy and from all the years they spent together, Emerson was aware of the fact that his mind went elsewhere when they talked, we're this close and both had their fair share of drinks.

"I guess they are," She mumbled, trying to dart her gaze away from his, knowing that if the two of them kept quiet and keep their gazes locked - they'd jump each other's bones even after not seeing each other for so long. "Uhm, so I'm gonna head back. Crys texted me before I ran into you, she's probably wondering where the hell I am."

Luke immediately nodded his head, "Yeah! Sure, I'm sorry for keeping you," He breathed, scratching the back of his head. "I hope you have a nice night. Ashton is really glad to celebrate with all of us."

Emerson smiled softly, knowing that Ashton was also the one that made sure he talked enough confidence into her for whenever she'd run into Luke.

"You too," The brunette sighed softly, slightly raising the arm Luke's jacket was draped over, "Thanks for this too, I'll try to get it back to you as soon as I can."

"Don't worry about it," Luke told her genuinely, waving it off, "Bet it looks better on you than it looks on me any ways."

/

The two past lovers separated their ways after cracking a few jokes on how Luke's jacket would be huge on her and would probably make it look like Emerson had nothing on underneath the pinstripe fabric.

Emerson chuckled at the way the sleeves reached her knuckles as she walked back to the table, noticing Calum and his girlfriend Ellison had joined the groups table as well. She knew that this meant Luke was probably joining their table later on as well, but after their little encounter in the hallway she felt like she'd be okay with that.

Crystal was the first that caught up with Emerson walking back towards the group and she stretched out her arms for Em to walk into while remaining seated.

"That jacket looks awfully familiar," Crystal teased, wrapping her arms around Emerson's waist to pull her closer into the booth so she was able to interrogate her best friend. "How was it? I reckon you two talked?"

Emerson sighed and laughed, "The motherfucker accidentally drenched me in beer when I walked out of the bathroom," She explained, looking around the booth to notice Calum already looking at her curiously. The guy sent her a big smile, the action causing her to return the gesture almost immediately.

It was nice to see Calum back with the group and Luke at the same time again as well. Cal had been hanging out with Luke a lot after he broke things off with Emerson to support his best friend, and it was a sad circumstance because Emerson and Calum had such a great friendship as well.

Crystal wheezed and shook her head, "Why do I feel like fate was just like let's make sure these stubborn assholes finally talk to each other again?"

Crystal's words caused Michael to catch up with what the two girls were chatting about, his head turning and a smile growing on his face. "You talked to Luke?"

His voice was quiet as he didn't want everyone to jump in on the conversation, if Emerson wanted people to know she talked to Luke she would tell everyone herself.

Emerson nodded her head with a smile, silently answering Michael's question. The guy took a sip from his beer while trying to hide the growing smirk on his face, feeling happy about his two best friends being back into the talking stage.

"Fuck off," Emerson groaned, taking a sip from Crystal's wine before she noticed Ellison had made her way over to sit across from them. The raven haired girl pulled her phone out of her purse and offered to take a few nice pictures of Crystal and Emerson because they looked stunning tonight.

Only a few moments later, the pictures had been sent and eventually Emerson found one she liked, both of the girls laughing loudly because Michael photobombed them seconds before.

She adjusted the lighting a little before thinking of a nice caption to post it on her Instagram. While it was uploading, her eyes darted around the table to finally look at her beloved friends. Her eyes caught sight of a smiling Luke whilst he was typing away on his phone.

Her phone lit up with an Instagram notification and tore her attention away from her ex-boyfriend. He had actually liked her post and left a comment, his name appearing on her screen something she thought she'd never see again.

lukehemmings
I was right, you look so much better wearing the blazer than I do.