𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

𝐒 𝐀 𝐕 𝐀 𝐍 𝐍 𝐀 𝐇

"Right on time, Kodiak."I try to stay focused on finding a seat and not the dumb blond before me. "Get the kids to school early today? I'm guessing you drop them off but I mean if you're one of those school bus moms I totally get that." I so want to wipe off that smug smirk of his.

I scoff, taking a seat in the row behind Rooster. "You're the nosey type aren't you Hangman?"

"You're fresh meat. Easy target." Coyote smirks from his seat.

"Something tells me that either we will all be the best of friends or despise each other for the rest of our lives." I click a pen furiously in my hand. "Hopefully it's the second option because my four year olds can hold a conversation better than all of you people combined."

"Yikes. And the claws are out." Hangman hisses.

I lean back into my seat. "Get used to it buttercup."

"... Buttercup?" Payback calculates in his head.

I scoff, holding in a laugh. "Oh I'm sorry would you prefer butternuts?"

"Attention on deck!" Every pilot in the room jumps to their feet, making our chairs scrape against the floor. "Morning." Warlock nods to us. "Welcome to your special training detachment. Be seated." We take our seats, turning our full attention to him. "I'm admiral Bates, NAWDC commander. You're all top gun graduates. The elite. The best of the best." I try to keep a smirk from crawling up my face but I'm sure there's one faintly there. "That was yesterday. The enemy's new fifth-generation fighter has leveled the playing field. Details are few, but you can be sure we no longer possess the technological advantage. Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box." Hangman turns to look at Phoenix, who rolls her eyes and subtly flips him off. "Half of you will make the cut. One of you will be named mission leader. The other half will remain in reserve."

As cool as being in the air sounds. I'd rather stay on the ground. The safer I am the better.

"Your instructor is a top gun graduate with real-world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master. His exploits are legendary." I follow the shadow as it walks past me. Maverick. "And he's considered to be one of the finest pilots this program has ever produced. What he has to teach you may very well mean the difference between life and death." I see Bradley tense in front of me. "I give you captain Pete Mitchell. Call sign: "Maverick." And with that, Admiral Bates gives Pete the floor.

"Good morning." Pete nods awkwardly. Everyone shakes their head or turns their attention away from him. Like they're upset that he's our instructor. Pete shakes his head as he holds up a manual. "The f-18 natops." He then sits it down and gently pats it. "It contains everything they want you to know about your aircraft. I'm assuming you know the book inside and out."

"Dang straight." Hangman nods.

Pete nods proudly before tossing the natops in the trash. "So does your enemy. But what the enemy doesn't know is your limits. I intend to find them, test them, push beyond. Today we'll start with what you only think you know." He seems a bit cocky. "Show me what you're made of."

***

"Yo Hondo!" I call out. The engines are powering up, making it hard to hear anything. "Where's my plane?"

"What?!" He yells back.

"My F-18! Where is it?!" I yell louder.

He gives me a questioning look. "They didn't tell you?!"

Now I'm confused. "Tell me what?!"

He smirks."For this mission, if you're selected. You will be flying with Rooster!"

Did I hear him correctly? "What?!"

He laughs, though I can't hear it I can tell by his smile and the way his mouth is moving. "Your plane is over there!" He points off.

As I head towards the aircraft all that runs through me head is, "There's no way. Is this a prank? This must be a prank." But sure enough when I get close enough to the plane to read the names on the side it shows. Lieutenant Bradley 'Rooster' Bradshaw and Lieutenant Savannah 'Kodiak' Ledger.

Just peachy.

I look to my left at Hangman. He looks between me and the plane. He dies of laughter, thankfully I can't hear it. He holds a hand over his heart and makes an "aww" motion with his mouth. I give him a not too kind hand gesture, in return he winks dramatically before climbing into his aircraft.

I flag down Bradley as he ends his conversation with Maverick. It seemed heated.

"What's this about?!" I shout as I point at the plane.

He places his helmet on his head. "It's a plane. It flies. What more is there to know?"

"That's not what I'm talking about." I roll my eyes at his smart alec reply. "Why are we flying together?"

"Are you too good to fly with me or something?" A brow lifts above his sunglasses.

"I was under the impression that I was flying alone. That's all!" I climb into the plane.

"Not this year, toots." He lowers his glasses. "Enjoy the flight, Sav." He winks.

Sorry it's so short. I needed to get something
out to you guys though💀