Prologue

We shared our first kiss under the cherry blossom tree. It had been 700 years since I had seen her for the first time, and yet... In all that time we had never once been able to share a kiss. 

Until now. 

My right hand caressed the side of her cheek as I pressed my lips gently against hers. At first I was careful... waiting. Her mouth gently opened against mine, deepening the kiss. Her hands rested against my chest and my blood pounded. I pressed my body against hers, slating her back against the bark of the tree. Both of my hands seized her face and we drew nearer, as if we could become one simply by pressing closer against one another. What had started out as a first, gentle kiss now was passionate and desperate. 

All too soon, I pulled away from her. It hurt to breathe, and just looking at her beautiful, pale face made my stomach clench. It was not just a first kiss, no it was goodbye.

"Ren? What is troubling you?" Her voice was soft; only a murmur. 

I could not look at her, at Misaki, the love of my life. 

The wind gently blew, causing more of the pink and white petals to fall from the tree. They cascaded down in a hailstorm of beauty. It was so agonizing to look at; such beauty and yet, it only lasted for a moment. 

Much like the blossoms, Misaki's time was at its end.

I felt her hands rub against my back. I had to grind my teeth together to keep from moaning. 

"Ren, I lov—"

Her voice cut off with a gasp, and I turned to her, holding her body in my arms one last time. Her eyes flickered with brief recognition, as the mage's memory wipe spell wore off, only for a split-second. Her body started convulsing. Her veins became visible and were black against her pale skin. Second-by-second, piece by piece, her body crumbled underneath mine. My fingers desperately clawed against the blackness. There was nothing left of the only woman I had ever loved, nothing but a pile of ashes.