Chapter 45

Madelaina:

A few hours pass and we all decide that it's time to go home. We have school tomorrow and it's already turning dark.

We get into Angel's car. Althea told Raymond to go home when she got here and that she'd call him to come and pick her up but Angel simply refused, convincing her to ride in his car with the rest of us.

He stops in front of my house first and Lucas steps out before me, offering me his hand.

I take it but am quickly pulled back by Althea.

"You can't leave me in here with him." She hisses.

"Sorry." I whisper back. "Maybe just...pretend to be asleep?"

"Gorgeous." Angel calls without looking into the back and pats the passenger's side. "Get your beautiful ass in the front."

She gives me a panicked look and I squeeze her hand, mouthing another apology as Lucas pulls me along.

I hear the car door slam, then angry footsteps and then another slammed door, before the engine revs and the car is off.

It takes me a minute to realise that I'm still holding Lucas's hand. That he is holding mine. That we're holding each other's hand while he walks me down my drive towards my front door.

"What are you doing?"

"What does it look like I'm doing?"

I roll my eyes, knowing I walked straight into that one.

"Why?" I amend.

"Because I want to."

"Why?"

"I... don't entirely know." I blink, surprised by his honesty. "But I know that I want to. So I'm doing it."

"Brat."

"Hey." He nudges his side into mine and rubs the top of my head with his free hand. "Do you know who you're speaking to?"

A small laugh falls from my mouth and I go to fix my hair when he pulls back.

I look up at the moon that's beginning to appear and move a strand behind my ear.

When I look back to him, I find he is already watching me. A smile gracing his lips and his eyes soft.

"Don't look at me like that." I shake my head and face forward.

"Like what?" He asks.

"Like that."

"Why not?" He laces his fingers with mine and it takes almost all of my effort to not jump up and down at the movement.

"Because." I answer, voice a little more breathless than I hoped for.

"Because...?"

"Because I said so."

Why can't I think straight? It's just hand holding. People go through this stage in kindergarden. Although, I suppose I've never gone through it before. Yes. It's my first time. That's why I feel like someone let loose a flock of eager butterflies in my stomach. No other reason. Not because it's him.

"Who's the brat now?" He teases and knocks my cheek with our interlocked hands.

I cover the spot with my other hand and bite my lip to keep from smiling.

"So that's what it takes to make you blush." He murmurs, almost to himself.

"You hit my cheek, of course it's going to turn red." I defend.