A Promise Kept

"Why not? This island seems to have a lot of good places for camping. And we have time now that the FFI is over."

In which Kogure gets the camping trip Hiroto promised him.

⚽⚽⚽⚽

"Camping?" Endou said, blinking curiously at Hiroto.

Hiroto just grinned in response. "Why not? This island seems to have a lot of good places for camping. And we have time now that the FFI is over."

No one could deny that. Coach Kudou and Hibiki had decided to book a plane a few days after the tournament ended, not only to let the players rest a bit before the long journey. 

Endou especially had been thrilled since he got to spend time with his grandfather, but Daisuke had left for Cotarl yesterday. The entirety of Unicorn was gone as well, having left to check on and support Ichinose during his recovery. Seeing no reason to stay, The Empire and Knights of Queens had left too. Endou didn't know what happened to The Kingdom, but Detective Onigawara assured him that they were in good hands, which was more than enough for Endou. Fidio and his team were still there and would remain there for a while, at least. 

Looking around the cafeteria, it suddenly hit Endou that this team wouldn't be there next year. It was Hijikata and Tsunami's first and final year within the age group allowed in the FFI, and there was no guarantee that all of the rest would make it next year either. After all, back home, there were amazing players like Genda, Saginuma, Midorikawa, Shadow and countless others training for the next FFI already. And there was also the possibility of a new hidden talent emerging from nowhere like Toramaru had.

Endou tried not to be too disappointed. He was looking forward to next year's challenges and friendships, and it wasn't as if they would never see each other again. Even Fudou, no matter how much he grumbled and muttered, hadn't really objected to sharing his contact information with others. 

Still. It wouldn't be the same. 

So why not have one last trip as a team? 

.

"Come on ," Kogure said from the caravan window, already seated. A few others trickled in as well as Haruna and Megane checked their luggage, making sure that everyone had everything.

"Wait a minute, will you?" Megane said, not even turning to look at him.

Kogure groaned loudly in response. "This is so stupid."

Everyone else shared a look. It wouldn't take long for Kogure to say or do something that would escalate into an argument.

The last minute check wasn't really necessary, but Megane had insisted, stating that it would be an unnecessary hassle to return all the way to the lodges for one or two things. And, well, arguing with Megane when he got like this was always a hassle in itself — the only ones who could talk him out of something were Kidou and Haruna. Probably Fudou too, but he usually didn't bother arguing or listening.

Seated next to Kogure, Kazemaru smiled weakly even as his own patience thinned. "It can't hurt to be careful."

Kogure sighed, throwing his hands up in frustration. "Fine."

.

Haruna inspected the stick in her hand. It seemed dry and she couldn't spot anything green in it. Still…