Thaw

Fudou and the annoying realization that these idiots actually matter to him.

(Five times Fudou tries to convince himself that he doesn't care about his teammates, and the one time he accepts it.)

⚽⚽⚽⚽

1. Kogure

Akio had been minding his own business. He really had been. Practice had been hard that day, which he probably should have expected given Edgar's little show at the party the night before. After the coach's indirect torture, everyone was either resting or hanging out doing some stuff Akio wasn't really interested in. All he wanted to do was get some sleep and then practice some more in the evening. 

Of course, he was Fudou Akio and the universe pretty much hated him. He'd forgotten that until the team's midget nearly barreled into him while screaming at the top of his lungs. 

Running and shouting in the lodge. That was already two of the coach's rules broken. Akio made a mental note to keep a close eye on Kogure. Coach Kudou telling people off with his glare alone was always entertaining. 

Fortunately, Kogure managed to stop mere inches away from Akio, so he didn't actually run into him. "Fudou-san?" 

There was no trace of the usual trepidation that everyone had when interacting with Akio, only mild surprise. Akio wasn't really sure if that was a good thing or not. Not having accusatory looks thrown at him whenever he so much as breathed was a relief — though he wouldn't be caught dead admitting that out loud. Still, Akio was not out to be friends with these idiots, no matter how much Endou and the rest tried.

Kidou, at least, had kept his reservations even after the shitshow that had been the final match of the preliminary tournament. Clearly, he was the smart one on the team. 

For a while, Kogure just stared at him. Akio could practically see the gears turning in his head and scowled when the midget perked up.

"I don't care what you want," Akio said. "I'm not doing it."

Distantly, Akio heard Someoka shout. 

Kogure must have heard it too, if the panicked look he threw over his shoulder was any indication. "Come on, please. I'll owe you one."

Akio looked at him from head to toe. He really had no time for Kogure or his antics, but having Kogure in his debt might end up being useful.

Kogure attempted to make his face look as pitiful as possible. He widened his orange eyes (not that he needed to with how big they were already) and—

God, were those tears?

Kogure was good at acting at least, though Akio probably should have guessed as much with his history as a troublemaker. 

He sighed and made sure to make it sound as weary as possible. "Fine. But I will collect one day."

Kogure's face lit up, fake tears gone as soon as they had come. '"Yeah, yeah. Just tell him I went the other way or something."

Akio rolled his eyes, watching him run off and enter a nearby closet. The corners of his mouth twitched up. 

Idiot.