last chorus

I was thinkin' about who you are

Your delicate point of view, IWas thinkin' about youI'm not worried about where you areOr who you will go home to, I'mJust thinkin' about you

"Are you excited to finally see your family again?", I whispered, careful not to wake the other boys scattered around us on the plane, sleeping soundly. 

"Heaps! Haven't seen them in years, Lauren has grown so much, Harry has too and I miss my mom. Talking on the phone is just not the same." 

"You sure you want me to stay with you? I don't want to disturb your time back together." 

"I am. You're not disturbing and I don't want you to sit in a hotel by yourself. My mom doesn't mind and you can get Lauren's room, she'll be at uni anyway and only visits for dinner.", he argues, and I give in, not wanting to discuss this anymore, especially when I was looking forward to spending the time in Australia with the Irwin family. I looked around at the sleeping boys, knowing that we'd have to wake them soon. But I was pretty sure their families were already waiting for them at home. I hope there wouldn't be too many fans though. I wasn't ready to face them all, I had gotten pretty used to the quiet of Ashton's home.

Soon enough we landed and got off the plane, heading the long way through the airport to baggage claim. By the time we arrived there our bags were already going round on the baggage carousel and quickly each of us got theirs. I was happy that someone else was taking care of the instruments, so we were able to leave rather fast. 

When we walked into the arrivals section, I didn't see a crowd, which made me wonder why but I was also happy about it so I didn't dwell too much on it. But as soon as we walked outside into the burning Australian sun, I saw lots of people standing there, holding signs and their phones up, some even singing their songs. It was such an amazing sight that I couldn't help but take out my phone and film it all.

It still took us almost an hour to leave the airport completely, and when we finally got in the cars I was relived to not have to smile anymore. I rested my head against the window, looking outside and taking it all in but also enjoying the quiet of the car and just being almost alone. At some point I felt Ashton's hand on mine, making me turn my head. 

"You okay?", he asked quietly, not wanting Luke, who was sitting in the front, to hear. 

"Yeah, just overwhelmed, but it's all good." 

"I know that feeling, I still feel that way when the crowds get so big.", he admitted quietly, and I nodded, appreciating his honesty. We stopped our conversation there, knowing it was one for late night talks rather than a car ride with other people that ended in no more than 15 minutes anyway.

When we arrived at Ashton's I felt myself get nervous. I knew meeting his family wasn't that big of a deal, I wasn't his girlfriend, I was just a friend who worked for his band, but it still felt weird to meet the people that shaped him and had such a big impact on his life. We got out of the car and grabbed our luggage when the door opened and a woman with dirty blonde hair came running towards Ashton, making him drop his bags again and wrap his arms around her. I almost teared up seeing his mom so happy and when they pulled away, I saw both of them had tear stains on their face. The years without each other had been hard but they also made this reunion so much more beautiful as well. 

"This is Jess, Jess this is my mom, Anne Marie.", Ashton introduced us, and immediately I was pulled into a hug as well, surprising me. 

"Welcome to Australia! I'm so happy you're here.", she whispered, and I wondered how much Ashton had been talking about me and what he had told her. We pulled away and she continued explaining that Harry was at school and Lauren was still at university, but she'd be home for dinner. She showed me the house and ended in Lauren's room, which I'd be living in while we were here, leaving me to unpack. I hadn't been alone for more than 5 minutes when Ashton walked into the room.