𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏: 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐥

"I'm going to need you to come down to Evergreen State Hospital. We have Tom here. He's...he's been shot."

Everything seemed to shatter in that moment. Those words kept echoing in my head, over and over. I froze and let the phone slip from my hand.

"Miss Moore? Miss Moore, can you hear me?" Fuller's voice asked, sounding concerned. I could hear it, but I was in too much shock to answer.

He's in the hospital. He's been shot.

It felt like my worst nightmare had just come true. It was suddenly getting very hard to breathe-

"Rebecca? Are you there?"

Shaking, my hand reached for the phone, which was dangling by the cord from the table.

"Ye-yes, I'm here," I replied in a weak voice.

"Good," he said, sounding relieved. "I know this is a lot for you to take in right now, and you're probably freaking out, and that's all very understandable."

I took a deep breath in, and slowly let it out, trying to calm myself down.

It wasn't really working. Actually, I think I was about to cry.

"...But I'm going to need you to stay with me. Can you drive down to the hospital, or would you like me to send one of my officers to pick you up?"

I almost considered his offer, but I realized that I wanted to help Tom as much as possible. I wanted to be there for him, and I wanted to do that all by myself.

And plus, right now it felt like waiting for someone to pick me up was wasting time.

"No, no I can do it. I'll drive there myself."

"Alright then, I'll see you here in a few minutes."

"Okay." I answered, quickly hanging up the phone.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

I barely remembered what happened after that. I somehow threw something on over my pajamas and got in the car, driving to the hospital as fast as I could. I remember wanting to cry in that moment as well, but I didn't allow myself to because all that mattered was getting to that hospital.

When I finally arrived inside, I rushed to the front desk, and asked for Tom Hanson, despite being completely out of breath.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but we can't release any information about him to anyone who isn't family, and we aren't sure about the exact status of his condition ourselves right now."

"Please... I'm his girlfriend..." I choked out breathily.

They looked sorry, but they still refused.

"Dammit," I muttered under my breath.

It was then that I noticed Tom's friends and captain all sitting in the corner, looking just as helpless as I was. They must have gotten the same answer. I slowly made my way over to them, waving slightly.

"Hey guys..." I said, with a slight smile. I was happy to see them, I didn't want to be here alone.

"Hey, Becca," Judy said softly, standing up to hug me. I tried not to cry as I wrapped my arms around her in return.

When we pulled away, I looked at the rest of the team. They all had somber looks on their faces, and I could tell how much Tom meant to all of them. Even the captain.

"Tommy's mother is on her way," Doug said. "Maybe when she gets here we'll finally BE ABLE TO GET SOME ANSWERS!" Doug emphasized the last part, saying it loudly so the nurses could hear.