His.

Demetri

1959 - Volterra, Italy

On the dead of that night, everyone in the castle seems to be on edge. How could they not be? The master's mate was fighting for her life. For some, they truly felt for the new mistress, a human. While most just feared the master's reaction should something happen to her or the unborn fetus that his mistress is so fond of.

Personally, I don't understand what Master Aro see in his human. Sure, she was a beauty, if we're comparing in human standards. She was kind, I suppose. A gentle soul to tame down the Master's. I have to admit that things had been a little merrier ever since she came to the castle. My rank among the guards allow me the privilege to interact with the masters and their family more than the other guards.

I could recall the night she announced that Master Aro was going to be a father. He was shocked. Sure, he knew there was a rumour about a vampire impregnating humans to create powerful children but The Volturi has never really seen it. So the idea of fathering a child has clearly been out of his concern. The master was anguished. He was torn between feeling joy of the new development or fear of losing the mate he just found after millennia of living mateless. In the end, he succumbed to the joy and join his mate in celebration of the new arrival. Still, he prepared everything for this night. I had to watch as he summon everyone he could think of that might have a slight knowledge on the matter and overtime gain more information. Sometimes he would ask myself or the other masters to discuss or help him build a strategy. Old habit right there. I watched as he got more confident in his strategy and as he raised to the human every whim and sigh. It seems like anything that come out of her out is a plea to the master's ear. I was glad the master never ask for my memories in those days because they were sometimes disrespectful towards his then human mate.

Human. Blood. Heartbeat. Warmth.

They never really matter to me. The only time they become a concern was feeding time. So long as my prey has them, I was satisfied. I've never given much thought about how fast should the human heart beats. How many time they should blink. How the body temperature should be.

But that night when Master Aro came in to the room where the family and elites were, something changed. I sensed something that I never had before. It was different than the feeling I usually get when memorising a new person in to my head. I couldn't really tell what it was, but it was't the same. This was new.

As the headguard it was my duty to protect the masters. And the little one was under my protection now. When the master beckoned me forward to take his daughter, it was to allow me to take the tenor of her mind. Instead I found nothing. I couldn't sense her mind. I was careful not to let the master touched my skin while I took the little bundle into my arm.

Warmth.

For the first time in all these years after  my change, I fell warmth seep through my bones and fill my dead heart.

I used one finger to stroke her face and felt the soft skin of her cheeks. The baby move her head, following my hand's movement. She opened her eyes as she felt that my finger had left her face. The moment our eyes met, brown to ruby, I felt something changed. I found the tenor of her mind and I felt as it integrate with mine. There was this foreign feeling now shadowing my own. It felt as if the owner is connected to myself. Whoever it is, she or he was feeling content, joy, and wonder.

It felt as if hours has gone by when Master Aro called my name to get my attention.

"Remarkable isn't she? I, too, haven't been able read a single though from her silent mind. It appears that my daughter posses a mental shield."

A shield? Ah, maybe I was an exception to her ability. Or it is because she was merely hours old. 

Suddenly, the usually somber Master Marcus chuckled. He gave his brother a knowing look before settling his gaze on the infant in my arms.

"What is it, brother? Is there something you wish to share with the rest of the room?" Master Aro said.

With everyone's attention on him, Master Marcus look from the infant in my arms to myself. That damned look only further enhanced by a slight upward turn of his lips to form a smirk only so few has the pleasure to see. "It appears that in her still short life time, my little niece has found what her father took millennia to find." 

This sentence coming from him only confirm my suspicion of the warm feeling I have coursing through my veins. So this little infant is my one. Interesting.

Silence fill the room as the occupants was waiting for the master's reaction to this new development. As if sensing her father's dilemma, the little one cooed while turning her small body towards where she remember her father was before handing her to my arms. The master look down at her and gently take her from my arms.

Instantly I fell the warmth disappear from within myself. I resist the urge to take the little bundle back to where she belong. All these years of training my self control are being tested right in this moment.

While gazing at the wonder on his arm, Aro spoke with a designated tone. "My little wonder, you can't even let your father even rest a little after your eventful entrance to this world before causing another ruckus. Is this how the next coming years will be like for me? Always full of surprises from you and your mother?"

"You are mere minutes old. Not even old enough to comprehend such feelings. Then again, who am I to stand between what was fated by the creator. Ah but fortunately, you already has the wits to chose only the finest for yourself. Who else would fit to be the fated one for a daughter of the ruler if not his most capable soldier." He continues. "We will speak about this later, Demetri. While I know what mating entails and I've always trust your judgement, I must ask that we thread this carefully considering my daughter delicate state."

"Of course, master."

As if agreeing with her father, the baby let out a small noise that effectively redirect the room's occupant attention to herself.  "My, what a smart one you are, my Isabella."

Isabella. From that night on, her name and everything about her become my sole purpose to exist.