TWENTY ONE

(CHAPTER 21 - FRUIT OF THE POISONOUS TREE)

🦢🗡

Elias and Emma were leaning against Elias' squad car at the castle playground when Henry rode up on his bike.

"Hey, kid," Elias said as Henry rode right past them.

"Good to see you, too!" Emma said and Elias nudged her as they followed him.

"The storm!" Henry said as he got off his bike, and approached the severely damaged castle.

"It's okay, we can fix it! I'll talk to Marco," Elias said.

"I think it's still here!" Henry said as he started digging in the ground at the base of the structure.

"What are you looking for?" Emma asked.

"My book!" Henry said as he continued digging in the ground.

"Why'd you bury it here?" Elias asked.

"So my mom doesn't find it," Henry said.

"Hiding it under your mattress wasn't good enough?" Emma asked.

"That's the first place the Evil Queen would look," Henry said as he unearthed a box.

Elias crouched beside him, "How about leaving it with me?" Elias asked.

"That's the second place," Henry opened the box to see the storybook inside, and he sighed in relief, "Good," Henry said.

"So, your mom doesn't know about the castle?" Emma asked.

"No, this is our secret," Henry said as he looked between the twins before he closed the box, and began to rebury it.

Elias stood up as Regina pulled up in her car and got out, "Henry? Henry! I've been looking everywhere for you! You know you have a session with Archie  this morning," she looked at Elias and Emma, "Should have known he was with you two," she looked at Henry, "Henry, car! Now," Henry headed to the car as Regina looked at the destroyed castle, "You let him play here?" Regina said in disgust.

"The storm hit it pretty hard, but we can fix it," Elias said.

"Well, can you fix a cracked cranium?" Regina looked at them, "'Cause that's what you'll have on your hands if one of these boards collapses under his weight. Neither of you are thinking about Henry or his safety, just ways around me. Don't let your feelings cloud your judgements, people can get hurt," Regina said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Emma asked.

"He's the Sheriff now, it's time to be responsible," Regina said.

----------<3----------

Elias, Emma and Mary Margaret were sat at a table in Granny's Diner.

"Don't let our feelings cloud our judgements? That's all Regina ever does," Elias said.

"She's just upset because you two and Henry have a special place and she...she doesn't," Mary Margaret said.

"How'd she find out about the castle in the first place?" Elias questioned.

"She knows everything about this town, she's the Mayor," Mary Margaret said and her phone vibrated, she picked it up and looked at it to see a text from David.

David: We need to talk. Meet at our spot.

"Everything okay?" Elias asked.

"Yeah, I just need to go," she stood up quickly, ready to leave and she looked at Elias, "Look, if it makes you feel any better," Elias looked at her, "I think you're right. I see the effect she has on Henry," Mary Margaret said.