1. Jona

September 2021

"So Jona, how has your summer break been?" My professor Mr. Jameson asks as I take a seat in his office. It's mandatory for all third year students to have one on one mentoring sessions. They'd like to know how we are doing. 

"It's been great, thank you. I visited the Euro's soccer matches here in Amsterdam. And also I went to the Austrian F1 Grand Prix." I tell him, knowing he'd only be interested in stuff he can relate to my major; Media and Sports. 

"That's good to hear. Have you had time arranging your internship for this year?" He asks. This guy really does not like to talk around things. Straight forward is what I get, typical Dutch person. I should be used to it after living here for the whole 23 years I have been alive. 

"I have not." I have applied, but no succes so far. 

"Jona, you know it is mandatory to start your one year internship somewhere in this first semester, else you will be force to retake the semester." Mr Jameson tells me, but it is something I am very aware of. 

"I know, I have applied to every Formula 1 team that had open internships in PR. But I have yet to get responses from them. Most deadlines were last week though. So I am hoping to be hearing from them soon." I tell him, knowing very well he'd prefer if students stayed in the Netherlands for their internships. 

"I know your passion is Formula 1, but wouldn't it be easier if you picked a sports facility here in the Netherlands to intern in? I take it would be less difficult to find a spot here." There it is, him trying to make me change my mind once again. 

"It would, but it is definitely not what I'd prefer. I want to see the circus that is Formula 1 up close. It would be an amazing learning opportunity for me, with so many media interactions between drivers, teams and media." I tell him, still fully focussed on my goal. A PR internship at a Formula 1 team. It's all I have been working for since I started this studies. 

"Well, you seem determined. I appreciate that Jona. However we are on a clock. But since we both know the F1 season start at the beginning of the year I am willing to give you a three month search extension. I can tell you have a set goal in mind and I would like to help you achieve it." He tells me then. 

I did not expect that, but it would certainly help. That means I have until the start of the 2022 season to lock in an internship. 

"Thank you very much Mr. Jameson." I tell him, still a little flabbergasted by the fact he handed an extension this easily. 

"Keep your goals clear Jona, and please feel free to contact me if you need any help with your application processes." He tells me as we finish the conversation. 

I grab my bag and head out to the study area in front of his office. I immediately spot my best friend Emily sitting at a table with her laptop and a marketing book in front of her. 

"Hi Ems," I say as I take a seat at the table as well. 

"Hi," She says looking up from the huge marketing book in front of her. "How was your progress talk?" 

"Kind of what I expected it to be like. Him disliking the fact that I have yet to find an internship spot. He did admire my determination, and therefore gave me a searching extension." I tell her. 

"Really, that's great news." Emily says smiling at me. She knows how badly I want this internship. 

"How's the search coming for you?" I ask her, knowing she's been aiming for a spot at ESPN. 

"Great actually. I just got an email that I have an interview next week. Turns out I'm one of the last three candidates still standing." Emily says, a big smile plastered on her face. 

***

October 2021

"Joon!" Emily yells through the study hall I am currently it. I look up at a teary-eyed smiling Emily. 

"Em?" I ask full of curiosity. 

"I got it!" She exclaims an even bigger smile appearing on her face. 

"You got what?" I ask not really getting what she's meaning. 

"The internship! The internship at Viaplay." She says happily. After Emily got declined for ESPN, she was still awaiting an answer from Viaplay, and I am guessing she got it. 

"Ahh you did?" I say happily engulfing her in a big hug. 

"I did!" She squeals. 

*** 

*pling* 

The sound of an email appearing in my inbox takes my focus away from my searching session. Looking for internships you are not really interested in, is definitely not easy. There's just way too many things that do not click. 

New email from internships@redbullracing.com

My heart started pounding in my chest. Turns out some teams might think I'm worth considering after all. I press the illuminated box to open the email. Quickly scanning over the email, hoping to find the words I was looking for. I did not find the however I found the words: Sadly, unfortunately and not chosen to fulfil this function. 

Guess that's rejection number 5. After Mercedes, Williams, Haas and Ferrari rejected my application, Red Bull just decided to join that not so select group as well. 

I sigh, closing my laptop. This email just drained me from my last bit of energy I had to find another internship. I however, refuse to believe there is not a single F1 team that would at least consider my application. 

Quitting is not really in my mindset. 

*pling* 

I look at my Apple Watch that indicates another Email just entered my inbox. I sigh, not really interested in what it said. I almost swipe it away, until I see the sender. 

PRinternships@McLaren.com 

I have to read this. 

I have to. 

But I can't. 

I put my Apple Watch with my Macbook and my phone on my desk and decide it's time for a shower. I'll deal with this rejection later.