49. Jona

"So if you could first introduce yourself." The Netflix producer says, as I take a seat on a chair in front of a familiar black screen. It suddenly feels really real to be in Drive to Survive.

"So am I saying what I do on the grid as well?" I ask, wanting to make it less about me being Lando's girlfriend and more about the team.

"That's fine." The producers says.

I look into the camera, collecting my thoughts again. Here goes nothing. "I'm Jona. I am a public relations intern at McLaren F1 team. I am also Lando Norris' girlfriend."

"That was actually really good." The producer says. "So now I'll be asking you questions, you can just answer them. It' pretty much a get to know your relationship interview."

"Okay."

"So, how did you meet?" The producer asks.

"We met in London last year, when I was there to do my job interview for the internship." I say, the producer motioning for me to continue. "So their driver was not able to pick me up, and somehow Lando was send to pick me up from the airport. We connected instantly, but both saw it as a friendship at that point."

"So when was the first time you thought he'd might be relationship material?"

"I don't see any relevance in this question." I say, not thinking this information is suited for a bigger audience.

"I'm sorry," the producer says, before asking the next question. "How long have you been together?"

"We have been together for four months now." I tell her, deciding that I do not have to give them any additional information. I'll be Kimi from now on.

"So how did people at McLaren react? You were working there at the moment you two got together, right?"

"I was, but I think people at McLaren have been really supportive in general. I've been removed of most things involving solely Lando. So there's no conflict of interest. Also we're aware of the fact that we both have different ambitions in our careers, so when we're working we're just colleagues." I explain.

"So no affection on the work floor?"

"We try not to, but let's be honest, there can be some signs of affection when Lando get back from driving the car. I'm scared every time he goes into the car. He's driving over 300 kph and that's just crazy to imagine. I'm always very happy when he returns to the garage safely."

From there on the producer asks more private questions, about our living situation for example. I answer them as simply as I can. But to be honest I don't really know what the situation is. Yes, I moved into his Woking home, but we still got our own places in the Netherlands and Monaco. And I know he already asked me to move into his Monaco place, but I just can't. Not yet. I'm not ready to say goodbye to my place with Emily.

I thank the producer for the time, and am informed that they'll probably be following us around for a day somewhere during the season. I however tell them that they should pick that up with McLaren's PR department, as it involves Lando too.

I walk back to McLaren hospitality, when I bump into Charlotte. "You're still here?" I ask her. It's been over two hours since the race ended, surely Charlotte always tries to get out of here as soon as possible.

"Yeah, Charles is taking forever." She chuckles.

"Boys." I sigh sarcastically.

"Tell me about it." She says making the both of us laugh.

Together we walk to the McLaren hospitality where Lando is apparently still waiting patiently for me to return. "How was it?" He asks as Charlotte and I sit down.

"Fine, they do want to follow us around for a day in the near future. I told them to pick that up with McLaren PR." I explain.

"They do realise that' they're still making the appointment with you, right?" Lando chuckles. "But it's fine for me, as long as it's fine for you too."

"Well, it's Netflix and they're stupid." Charlotte chimes in. "They have been asking Charles and I for this for two years, we kept turning them down. Until they realised that Charles' DTS contract had a clause in it for one family oriented episode."

"Really?" I ask in disbelief, you'd think that such a clause shouldn't be there. I know Lando doesn't have it.

"Yeah, it was in the fine print, but he had to do it anyway." She explains. "But they still have to do the follow along with us as well. Why don't we give them the same date. Let's just screw with their plans and go on a double date that day."

I can feel my thoughts spinning. That'd be fun. "They won't be able to pin Charles against Lando then." I say, kind of agreeing with it.

"What do you say Lando?" Charlotte asks looking at Lando hopeful.

"Have you conferred this with your boyfriend yet?" He asks, not wanting to answer yet.

"Nope, but he'll agree." She says determined.

"But Ferrari's PR department has to agree too." Lando says. "So does ours, I don't think they'd like it when an intern goes and make these plans." He continues looking at me sternly.

"Fine I'll talk to Alana and Zak." I say, really wanting to show DTS that there's definitely more to this grid than stupid little fights.

"And I'll make Charles talk to Ferrari's PR department." Charlotte says.

***

I'm sitting in Lando's stream room on Tuesday morning, ready for a virtual meeting with Alana and Zak. I know Charlotte has gotten her meeting as well, with someone from Ferrari's PR department.

"Good morning Jona." Alana says as her and Zak's face appear on my screen. They're both sitting in a conference room at MTC.

"Good morning." I say back to them.

"So please enlighten me, why is this meeting called Beating Drive To Survive?" Zak asks.

"So," I start. "DTS is making an episode on support systems as you know. And now I've spoken with Charlotte Sine, Charles Leclerc's girlfriend. And we're both in that episode. The crew would like to spend a day with us, just to see how friends and family influence the drivers. And we think we've got them beat. We want the crew to come film both Charlotte and Charles and Lando and I on the same day. We'll be going on a double date, without them knowing. And we're hoping it'll make them realise that there is definitely not as much hatred on the grid as they make it appear."

__________________________
So that's it for this F1 season. Max won once again. Lando and Daniel both ended in points and Lando had the fastest lap.
It makes me sad it's all over now. No more Seb on the grid, no Daniel on the grid next year, no Mick. Just hoping the rookies can fill that gap even the slightest bit.

So with that, what are your hopes for next season?
Mine are: another championship for Max, but hopefully with so much more excitement than this year. So more competitiveness at the top. Hoping Lando will get many podiums, hopefully his first win.