part 1

September 1st, 2022

Dear Simon,

I miss you. It has been about 9 months since I have gotten off of that island, and even longer since I have talked to you or seen your face. I miss our conversations, our laughs, and the smile you brought to me even when life sucked. You would be 14 now, and oh how the time goes by fast. I hope you are reunited with Jasper, how the two of you were so close. I want you to know that I am proud of the life you had created for yourself, and that you have been taken away too soon. I miss you everyday, Simon.

Love,

Fay

I dropped my pencil as I stared at the note sitting on my desk. I took a deep breath in crumbling up the paper, and threw it in my garbage can sitting next to me.

I crossed my arms on the desk and laid my head on top of them, closing my eyes. Sure I am happy that I'm home, but the memories still linger in your skull like they have been drilled in there. I still feel the blood stained on my hands from the gruesome acts that were committed on the island.

I prop myself back up and straighten my posture, trying to relieve myself from the guilt I was feeling. I heard my phone ding as I lifted it up, smiling at the notification.

Jack had been attending military school for the past month, so I have had many chances to see him. After everything that had happened, I decided against going to dance school in London and thought it would be the safest to stay in New York. Plus I get to see Jack, so I suppose that is a plus.

I read the text in my head, holding my phone in my left hand. It read, "Just finished for the day. Want to go out for lunch at Chino Grande?" Chino Grande was a beautiful lobster and french fries loving place. It was so fun since they had karaoke, everyone there got along, and it felt like a party every time you go there.
I sent him a thumbs up emoji, and grabbed my purse from the edge of the back of my chair.

I threw a black cashmere sweater over my head as well as pulling up some black tights and a beige plaid skirt over my legs. I checked my makeup in the mirror to look for any smudging, and shot my reflection a smile. I slid on some black flats and flung my purse over my shoulder whilst heading out of my bedroom.

I notice my father reading the newspaper at the kitchen counter, chugging a bottle of brandy. I rolled my eyes and blew my mother a kiss as she waved goodbye to me.

My father has really turned for the worse since I had gotten back, and I blame myself for it. Ever since I had been on that island, I found out he was full of stress during my disappearance and had gotten let off of his job. We lost a large sum of money and he forced himself into a slump of depression. Now he drinks, smokes, and barely says a word to my mother or I.

I can't say it is one hundred percent my fault though, as I couldn't control it. I suppose I just feel bad that the reason he lost his job and a ton of money is because he was stressed about me.

As I kept indulging my brain with thoughts, I accidentally rammed into someone before exiting the door. And to my luck, I made her spill her coffee all over herself. Instant regret bulged in my eyes as I watched the stains form in her shirt, and the coffee dripping out of her hair.

"I am so sorry. I promise to pay for this, how much is your shirt?" I stuttered out, looked up at her shocked face and back down to her shirt. She didn't seem very mad, so that was a bit reassuring.

She laughed at my reaction, her eyebrows raising to about the top of her hairline.

"Chill. This shirt was like five bucks from the thrift store, I think i'll be fine." The girl picked up the coffee off of the ground, tossing it into the trash an that stood about six feet away.