I

Belford, England, June 1837

"We're going to London, we're going to London" they sang happily. "We shall promenade in the park like finished debutantes" Catherine squealed. "Oh I shall buy every dress in every boutique" Deborah said with a far of look. "What do you reckon the zoo will be like?" Beatrice asked. Aunt March, in her letter, had invited the quadruplets to London for the summer and they were all joyful. All except Annabeth. She hated the idea of leaving Belford and her parents but that was not the real reason for loathing this invitation. There was a possibility that she would meet him. And she was suspicious of aunt March. She was sure that she was not in need of company like she had written in her letter. Annabeth was sure that she had been invited them so they could 'come out'. Annabeth didn't want to come out. She was perfectly fine where she was anyway. She did not want to come out and she definitely didn't want court anyone. Why try when she knew she it would eventually end?"We won't leave for London if we do not pack up" she said, opening her trunk. Catherine plopped down on her bed suddenly fatigued. Beatrice clicked her tongue and Deborah groaned. "What? I am not packing up for you all as well" Annabeth announced, folding her clothes. "You are such a awful sport" Beatrice complained. "If being an awful sport means getting things done, then I'm a terrible person" Annabeth commented. "I have a feeling that you are not too keen on going to London" Deborah noticed aloud. Annabeth looked at here "Debbie, cities are filthy and overcrowded places. And you know how I loathe overcrowded places"

"But the thing is you shan't go anywhere when your head is stuck in those books of yours"Catherine quipped. "At least she reads" Beatrice quipped and then added, referring to Catherine "illiterate"

"Bea!" They all screamed.

"What? Am I lying? We all know she has trouble reading"

"Even so, you mustn't say that"Annabeth chided. Catherine looked close to tears.

"Apologize Bea" she added.

"Why?"

Annabeth gave Bea a stern look.

"Sorry. There, happy?"

The room fell into silence as everyone was busy packing.

"Has anyone seen my black shawl?" Deborah asked, rummaging through her things in frustration. "It is under the bed" Annabeth stated, closing her trunk.

"Oh, Debbie and losing things" Bea said, shaking her head. "Is it just me, or are you feeling a lot more argumentative today?" Debbie asked Bea. Bea was about to say something when their mother called them down. "The carriage has arrived" their mother informed. The girls rushed about, trying to fit in whatever they could into their trunks. They rushed down in a cacophony of noises and clanging. Their papa, Mr Newton, packed their trunks in the back compartment . The girls lined up in front of him in an alphabetical order. He kissed Annabeth's head first. "Try to remove that head of yours from books Anne" he smiled. "I'll try papa, but I cannot promise you anything" he laughed at her joke. He turned to Beatrice. "Miss expressive , try not to scare everyone away from you"

"Papa!" She screamed as he pecked her forehead. He chuckled, moving to Catherine. "Kitty, do not flirt so much"

"Papa, I do not flirt"

"You believe that" he said sarcastically, kissing her forehead.

"And my dearest Debbie, I am just glad your head is connected to your neck, for lord knows that if it was not, you would have lost it by now. Try to keep track of your things" he quipped. A pink hue dusted Debbie's chubby cheeks. Their mother stepped forward, enveloping the quadruplets in a tight hug. Their father joined soon enough and had it not been the sweet air Annabeth longed for, she would have loved to remain in that bear hug. She boarded the carriage with her sisters after a final teary goodbye.

Throughout  the journey, she looked out the window, witnessing the greenery morph into buildings. When night came, they all rested at a nearby inn and continued the journey the next day . Soon enough, they reached Aunt March's humble London home. A footman opened the door and out of that stuffy carriage did Annabeth get  down. Aunt March and her only daughter, Victoria stood in front of the house with the brightest of smiles. "So this is what cities look like. I am afraid that you, Anne, were right about cities" Debbie murmured as soon as she saw the busy street. "I, for one, certainly miss my greens" Catherine whispered back, looking around. "They are not your greens" Bea pointed out, looking up at the grey sky. "Enough about the greens" Annabeth ended the argument before it even began."Oh my girls. Look how you have grown!" Aunt March squealed. They all smiled. "We certainly cannot have you standing out here, why don't you come inside?"

Once the girls had settled in the room Aunt March had arranged for them( which contained four separate bed a window sill, an adjoining bathroom and a dressing screen)they went to the drawing room while chatting amicably. The quadruplets were terribly noisy when they were together. "Girls, I want to inform you of a ball we will be attending in the next three days". Aunt March began. Annabeth could feel the colour drain from her face. Lord, she hated balls or any social event because of the presence of aristocracy(they made her ridiculously nervous) and the dancing . Also, she believed it was a waste of time. Why would one attend a ball when one could just stay at home and sleep? "I hope you brought some gowns, otherwise feel free to ask Victoria for anything" Aunt March informed them. While her sisters discussed the ball in high spirits , Annabeth left the drawing room for lord knew if she heard the word 'ball' again she might retch. She wandered through the house, purposely looking for a library. When she located it and entered, she did not come out again. Not even for dinner because how can she be hungry when she was consuming such knowledge?

Her mind wandered though, it often did these days, after him. After 10pm ,she decided to call it a day the ball still weighing on her mind.

Somehow, she knew that her duration here would change her forever.

And she feared that the change would not be something to write home about.