VI

Dedicated to    Akelacz, my third follower. 

Eight am, he said. And yet it was nearly one pm and he had not arrived. It's not that Annabeth minded. Maybe God had answered her prayers. She smiled at the thought. Why on earth was she playing along anyway? She knew William wouldn't dare tell aunt March. They would be forced to marry. And who on earth would want to marry her anyway?"It looks as if he may not come. Pity" said she to aunt March. Aunt March frowned at this. "I'll just change out of this now..." no sooner had she said the words than she heard the doorbell ring. Aunt March screamed in glee and motioned her daughter to open the door. Victoria did and lo and behold both William and John were behind it! "Come on in your graces" she said, slightly bowing. Graces? Annabeth wondered. The air became tense as the two entered. Good grief, thought Annabeth. Her foot was on the first step... of freedom and now, she would have to turn. Why couldn't William get sick or something? "Sorry I was late," William began, looking directly at Annabeth with intensity. "It's quite alright" she managed to say without showing her annoyance. "Shall we, then?" He said, offering his arm. She wouldn't have taken it, she really wouldn't. But the look aunt March gave her was warning enough. She took it with such pretense, that she could have actually passed for a person who was delighted. "You are going out with him? Now?" John said, looking daggers at William. When Annabeth looked blankly at him without uttering a single word, Victoria offered to keep John company till she returned. Reluctantly, John agreed and they went in the direction of the drawing room. Leaving them with her aunt. "Oh dear, I cannot leave those two alone... I shall have Beatrice accompany you" aunt March said, smiling at William. When aunt March went upstairs, William said "listen, the lady I was telling you about?" "Lady Dawson, is it?" She asked. "Yes, her... she is outside in the carriage and I sort of, maybe, told her you were my cousin?" It wasn't a statement. Her eyes widened. "You did what?"

"Listen, we were going to the art gallery together but I realized that I did not deserve such torture and so I thought-"

"You would let me suffer with you" she finished for him. "You understand! Be sure to relay this information to your sister for me". Annabeth simply nodded, wondering if lady Dawson was daft. There was no way she would actually believe this if she wasn't. What kind of relative of nobility would live here? She did not voice her observations to William though for she knew she would be wasting her breath. She instead asked "and what is my name, if I am asked?" He looked deep in thought.

"If she asks, you are a distant cousin from my mother's side"

"It still does not answer my question"

"You read a lot.. come up with something" was his answer. She could not believe this boy. She was doing a favor for him and he had the audacity to neglect her so! (And did he even know her love for reading anyway? Why,  when they were children, he was not even around half the time.)

If Beatrice had not come down in that moment, Annabeth would have been charged much later for murder.

The carriage ride was... Annabeth could not even name the feeling. After she had been introduced to lady Dawson as Elinor Hall, William's distant cousin, not much had been said. Annabeth had observed that lady Dawson was a beautiful lady, and from the way she stuck her nose up, she was well aware of how her blonde hair perfectly complemented her green eyes and pale skin. Unfortunately, lady Dawson was not as smart as she was beautiful. One would call her very stupid. She took little notice of Annabeth's lodgings or how lacking Annabeth looked compared to her. How could one actually believe that. Annabeth also believed that the young heir had been exaggerating. Lady Dawson was not all bad, she was amusing, really, with a great deal to say as well. Or perhaps she was as bad as William said, but was trying to make a good impression on his 'family'. First impressions did matter . Annabeth would know. Throughout the ride, William looked out the window, pretending to be amazed with every little thing within their vision. You did not have to be brilliant to know that William detested lady Dawson. Occasionally, he would look at Annabeth with such intensity, that she was sure that he would burn a hole through her. And for some reason she would feel flustered and her cheeks would grow warm. He was also seated directly opposite her, not helping matters. Annabeth could also tell that Beatrice was not exactly fond of her, either. If she was, she would be running her mouth non stop. She only replied to her questions with little words. Annabeth did not talk at all. She only felt bad for the carriage driver, who seamed in dire need of conversation. When they finally reached the gallery and took care of all the finances, William snatched Annabeth's hand, saying that they should go in pairs or whatever. This was the time to put in good word for her cousin. They looked at a few paintings before William spoke "I told you she was horrible, and yet my mother is already envisioning wedding bells. Can you believe her?"