[The hello kitty murder.]

Fan Man-yee was abandoned by her family as a child, resulting in her being raised in an all girls' orphanage. When she turned 15, she was told to leave the orphanage because they had an age restriction. Becoming homeless and addicted to drugs, Fan was forced into street prostitution until the age of 21, when she began working at a brothel. Fan would eventually marry one of her clients, a fellow drug addict, in 1996. She gave birth to their son two years later, not long before her murder. Fan's husband was described as abusive and neighbors would report being woken-up by sounds of the couple's fights and the screaming & crying from their apartment. The Hello Kitty murder case took place in Hong Kong on 17th March 1999, when she was abducted and tortured in an apartment in Tsim Sha Tsui. Fan Man-yee was held captive by three men and one girl before dying on April 15, 1999. Her body was decapitated and her skull placed inside of a Hello Kitty doll, which gave the name for the murder case. Chan Man-lok, a 34-year-old triad member, was one of Fan's regular clients at the brothel. In early 1999, Fan stole Chan's wallet, which contained about $HK4,000 (roughly US$500).When Chan realized what happened, he demanded Fan to return the money in addition to a fee of $HK10,000. Although Fan immediately returned the stolen money, she needed additional time to secure the additional fee. On 17 March 1999, Fan was abducted by three men and one girl: Chan; his grooming victim Ah Fong, age 14; Leung Wai-lun, age 21; and Leung Shing-cho. The group took her to an apartment at No. 31 Granville Road, Tsim Sha Tsui,] where they imprisoned Fan for a month. Initially, Chan had intended to make money off of Fan by pimping her out to other men. The 14 year old was groomed and manipulated by Chan, later she was the one who told the police what happened to Fan, that was because she said she was being haunted by a young woman in her 20s covered in blood stain, she believed this young woman was Fan, the girl whose murder and death she had taken part in. During her imprisonment, Fan was tortured and r@ped. According to one source, she was beaten with metal bars, kitchen utensils, and furniture pieces, sometimes while being strung up and used as a punching bag. On one occasion, Fan was kicked in the head around fifty times. Spices were rubbed into Fan's wounds, her legs and feet were burned with candle wax and hot plastic (specifically so she couldn't walk), she was forced to consume human feces and urine, and she was forced to smile and say she enjoyed the beatings; if she refused, they subjected her to even harsher torture. Not only did the gang members urinate into her mouth, they also forced her to eat Chan's teenage girlfriend's feces. They also bound the young mother's wrists together with electrical wire and suspended her from the ceiling. Then, they beat Fan all over her body with metal pipes and table legs until her head was covered in blood and her fingers were broken. This treatment eventually lead to traumatic shock and ultimately death. Remember, she went through all this for 30 whole days, you can just imagine.. Fan succumbed to her wounds on 15 April 1999. Some sources claim that she died while her captors were out, while others say she died overnight.Upon returning Fan's body, her captors cut her body into pieces and boiled the remains, they ate noodles and cooked food in the same utensils they boiled her remains in ; her skull was sewed inside of a Hello Kitty doll while the rest of the body was discarded. Only her skull, one tooth, and some internal organs were recovered in a plastic bag, after Ah Fong led police to the scene After a trial which lasted over six weeks, the three men were convicted of manslaughter, as the jury ruled the remains were not sufficient to show whether Fan was murdered or died from a drug overdose. While the jury could not rule that the men intended to kill Fan, they did determine that had she died as a result of their abuse. Ah Fong testified at the trial in exchange for immunity. Justice Peter Nguyen, who sentenced the trio to life in prison with the possibility of parole, stated, "Never in Hong Kong in recent years has a court heard of such cruelty, depravity, callousness, brutality, violence, and viciousness." Psychiatric reports described the three as "remorseless". This was the story of a young, strong and determined woman who had the worst life anyone could think of. She never saw happiness, she never saw goodness died because men's cruelty is immeasurable.

Words count: 818 words.