Chapter Thirty-One

Taylor removed her eyes from the green that made her sick. She bent her head down and looked out the windshield at the brown log cabin that sat high on a cliff surrounded by snow and pine trees. It was hidden in the pines somewhat making it easy for someone to miss if you weren't looking. She kicked herself menatlly as she was angry at herself for her angry outburst, he didn't mean to make her mad, afterall, it was just a simple question. But the question hit a nerve. Her fear nerve. Her fear of actually never seeing her parents again, she'd been scared from the start that she would never ever see them again. Never hear them say another good morning, never hear another happy birthday, never have her dad walk her down the aisle, or have them see her first child. The thought tore at her sole and she couldn't contain herself. She had pushed all of her thoughts and feelings down deep inside her because she knew that Stone didn't actually care about those types of things. And now after hearing about his past, she knew he had a heart of some sort, but it was hardened by years of torment from his dad and his brother Igor.

"It's beautiful!" She breathed out. Stone just answered with a grunt as they went up and curved. Soon they were in front of it. It wasn't pretty, it was simple. A simple door with large windows all around the cabin. But it was just right and she couldn't wait to see what the inside looked like. Stone stopped the car and turned it off.

"Wait here."

"Why?"

"Because I need to make sure it's safe."

"Oh." Taylor watched him take a gun from the glove box and then step out. She watched him walk to the cabin and check the door. Then he walked around the back and disappeared for some time before reappearing on the left side of the building. He waved at her and she opened the door and stepped out into the snow. Her boots crunched all the way to the door as the cold wrapped around her like a hug. An unwanted hug.

"We're all good." He said as a white puff of air came out of outh from the cold. They walked to the door and stone used the key that was hidden under a rock and opened the door. The inside was musty and cold. Filled with beautiful wooden furniture and lush rugs. A chandelier hung above them in the open vault ceiling with a skylight above the couch that was near a real fireplace. It was rustic and just like what a cabin should feel like.

"It's enchanting." She said as she walked to the couch and sat on the soft cushions.

"It is. That's why I like it up here. I'll go unload, you make yourself comfy and then I'll get started on the fire."

"Alright." Stone left, closing the door behind him. Taylor rose and walked about the cabin, there was the dining room in a room off of the living room, then in the back was the kitchen and back behind the kitchen were two rooms. Both were set up similarly with big beds, wooden dressers, stand alone mirrors and small closets. Not much decoration was in there either except for some deer skulls, bear skins and a deer head mounted to a wall in the first bedroom. She shuddered at it and hoped it wouldn't be her room. She went into the kitchen and poked around, she found pots and pans in a drawer under the stove, rows of mac N cheese boxes filled one cupboard. Two loaves of bread and some butter sat in another cupboard. Opening the fridge, she found lunch meat, lettuce, cheese and pickles. There was mayo and ranch and bottles of beer. All the causal normal things you'd find in a cabin belonging to a man that rarely came up. In another cupboard were canned beans, brown and green, corn, peaches, and pineapple. Taylor's stomach growled just then as the hunger set in. She decided she would ask him when he came in if he wanted something to eat, surely he was hungry too. The front door shut and she made her way out of the kitchen to see him in the entryway with all their stuff

"Thank you for bringing it all in."

"Sure. You can pick which bedroom you want, but the one with the deer head is mine."