Chapter 5 (Buck)

"Why did you do that? We're not supposed to check up on people we save, and those rules apply to you too."
    "I just wanted to know if she was okay."
    "Hen told you the woman was going to be fine; she wasn't hurt that serious."
    "But I...."
    "No, you can't do that again, you got that?" Buck sits on the armchair in the office of the captain of the firehouse 118. He looks at captain Nash, who isn't that happy with him at the moment. He ignored one of their rules again, they're not supposed to check up on people they saved. When he first came to the team he struggled with that rule, but after a while he accepted it. But today he couldn't stop himself from going to the hospital even though he knew he shouldn't go.

Yesterday, they got a call about some ambulance that went down a cliff, with people inside. One of the passengers, a young woman, called 911 to ask for help. They went to the scene and he and Diaz went down to the ambulance. Diaz checked on the two people in the front of the ambulance, and it was Buck's job to get the caller out of the back. He could see the fear on her face, which was fully understandable. The ambulance could have gone further down at any second, while she was waiting for help to come. He had to convince her to grab his hand. Thankfully she did after he got her to trust him. And they were just in time, because a few minutes after they got out, the ambulance fell further down the hill. After all that, he just wanted to know if she was okay. Of course, he knew he wasn't supposed to do that, but he couldn't help it, he needed to know if she was safe.
    "Buck, promise me this won't happen again," he hears captain Nash say. He nods his head and stands up from the comfy chair.
    "It won't happen again," he says, and he walks out of the captain's office. He walks through the firehouse and gets on the stairs. When he gets upstairs, he sees his colleagues standing in the kitchen.
    "Well, how bad was it?" Eddie Diaz asks. Buck walks to the kitchen island and takes one of the brownies Cap baked last night. He and his colleagues are lucky with a captain like Bobby Nash. The man is an excellent cook and loves to bake too. They have dinner together almost every shift. And the food tastes like a Christmas dinner almost every time.
    "I had to promise him I would never do it again," Buck answers Diaz.
    "And are you planning on keeping that promise?"
    "It's not the first time you overstepped and ignored the rules Buck, and I have a feeling it won't be the last, either," Hen reacts. Her full name is Henrietta, but everyone just calls her Hen. Like Howard is called Howie or Chimney and how they call Evan Buckley Buck. When he started at the firehouse, there were two other men named Evan, so it was easer to call him Buck, and it stuck. 
    "I know, I know, I wasn't supposed to check up on her."
    "So why did you do it anyway?" Chimney asks. They take place at the table and look at Buck.
    "Well, what was so special about her?" Chimney asks curiously. But Buck doesn't know what to say, because he doesn't know the answer. Why did he go to the hospital? Why was he so determined to check up on her? What was so special about that young woman? It's not like he knew her, they have never met before. He knows he shouldn't have gone. The nurse wasn't allowed to tell him anything about that woman. He doesn't know Sammy, but he has a feeling he needs to change that.
    "You probably thought she was pretty, right?" Buck looks at Chimney, who is sitting at the table with his arms crossed in front of his chest. They have worked with each other for a long time, together with Henrietta. His colleagues needed some time to get use to Buck. He was and still is a risk-taker, he doesn't think long before he does something, and he takes things too personal sometimes. Diaz came working with them a little while back and Buck didn't like him at first. To be honest, he might have been a little jealous of the new guy. He was good-looking, strong, and he had serious skills. It's a good thing Buck changed his mind, because otherwise they would have never been the friends they are now. His colleagues at the 118 became his friends and maybe even his chosen family. And he is incredibly grateful for them, because his giving family isn't that great. He doesn't really talk with his parents anymore, but that is his own choice.