1: "Family"

I died 8 years ago, it wasn't particularly tragic or unusual. Just a car accident.

I don't blame the man who hit me. He was speeding because his wife was in labor and there was black ice on the road.

He lost control of the car, and I lost my life.

It's not his fault, I know that. I'm not cruel, I'm not vengeful, if anything I'm the opposite.

You see I don't have any family left and I had lost my few friends around the time of my death. When it was time for my funeral the only people who had come were my boss and the family that had killed me.

The wife, Lori, held her newborn daughter close to her chest. I hated my boss and the cemetery was awfully lonely, so I followed the family home.

Lily, the daughter, was like my own flesh and blood. She was sweet, and bright, and so so very small. She had trouble sleeping if no one was rocking her crib and her parents were so tired. After they had put her to bed it was easier for me to rock her crib for her. I didn't get tired. I could help her.

As the years passed Jack and Lori began to realize that they weren't alone in the house. It didn't take long from there to make a connection between my funeral and when I had shown up. And I'd never been malevolent so they weren't afraid or angry.

They started to burn candles on the anniversary of my death day, they left an empty chair for meals and holidays, I really felt like a member of the family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Someone is trying to force the door open. It's Lori's ex, Alec. He's obsessive, he's angry, he's dangerous. He's going to hurt the family, MY family.

The thing about ghosts is that the more offerings you get the stronger you become. I'd been enjoying candles, trinkets, and even the occasional food item for the past 5 years. I was strong from that.

The knife feels warm in my hand. A shock or hear against the ice of my skin. Lori, Jack, and Lilly are my family. I care about them. And they're not going to join me yet.

As the intruder to my home is pounding on the door, no doubt causing his hands to bleed, I grip the knife that seems to be growing hotter and hotter.

He finally gets the door open and the family wakes up to a loud thud. They come rushing toward the sound and came upon Alec lying in the welcome mat with a knife in his chest. Lori and Jack look spooked, Lilly looks traumatized.

This wasn't my intention. They must know that. I just wanted to keep the safe. I had never meant for them to see what I had done. Especially Lilly.

My family stops giving me offerings, they no longer leave a chair open for me, they hardly acknowledge my presence.

After another year of this ignorance I decided to leave, trying to entertain this family who wanted nothing to do with me was draining, so I left.

A/N: Hi, thank you for reading this, it is my first ever book so I hope you like it, for warning I'm horrible at endings so if your not happy with them I'm rlly sorry. This will consist of just random story's, funny, scary, sad, all that stuff. Thank you, bye!