Chapter 9

Amira's POV

One thing I've noticed about this palace is that, all the staffs are unfamiliar for me to recall. None of these faces ring a bell and even the head maid who used to walk pass by me before has been replaced by this woman.

Perhaps the Empress replaced all the staffs when she reigned? Or were there new recruitment?

"I-I don't mean to be rude but..." I hesitantly spoke, ".. there are a lot of new faces that I haven't remember from the last time I came here and the last Head Maid I've seen was a little bit older looking."

The head maid's brows rose up in confusion, "So... You've been an employee here before?"

"Well... Sort of. But it was for a short period of time and it ended about 2 years ago." She slowly nodded her head and stood closer to me.

"So you were fortunate to decide to flee before the tragedy." I tilted my head upon her confusing comment.

"E-Excuse me? I don't-"

"I've been reassigned here from His Highness Axel's palace because Her Imperial Highness Moon wiped out the whole staff." she nonchalantly replied, not waiting for me to finish, My mouth gaped open understanding the whole situation.

"So the Empress fired and replaced them..." I muttered under my breath.

However, her expression somehow intrigued me. She paused for a moment, processing what I understood.

"Oh.. no Miss Nahmer, It was a blood bath." She replied.

My jaw immediately fell to the floor realizing what she really mean't. "W-What?"

"She had to get rid of them anyway." She shrugged. HOW CAN SOMEONE SAY THAT SO NONCHALANTLY AS IF THOSE PEOPLE WERE DESTINED TO DIE ANYWAY?!

"So when you say 'wiped out', you literally meant-"

"Executed, yes." She nodded her head and turned to continue walking down the halls without looking back.

"D-Does that mean that no staff survived?" I asked, horror started to run through me, finally understanding what was going on!

"No staff were able to escape her rage, my lady."

The servants were killed? Why?! Did they do something wrong against Her Highness?! I immediately shook my head in discomfort. That situation seem frustrating and mortifying!

I want to ask more but I didn't want to pry regarding that incident.

"Now, if you're ready young Miss. I've prepared your dress for today. Please step inside." She spoke and open a door to an unfamiliar room for me in which I immediately obligated.

The room is a bit big and the other servants were here. About three of them were waiting for me and they look about in their teens.

"Hello Miss! We're your caretaker from now on. Please have a seat as we pamper you." I stopped in my tracks and turned to look at the head maid.

"Why would a servant have a servant?" I asked. She cleared her throat.

"By the order of the Empress, you are hereby declared as one of the Imperial court lady." I looked at her in disbelief. WHAT THE F*CK IS THIS WOMAN THINKING, GIVING ME THIS KIND OF RESPONSIBILITY?!

"NO." I responded adamantly. She sighed and walked closer to me. "I'm sorry my lady, but we're only doing our job."

"I applied to be a servant—to do house chores. NOT her personal assistant." I insisted. I will not wear such wretched corset in events and play dress up. Most importantly, I intended to neither be close nor see a silhouette of her as much as I can!