~Prologue: The Dragon is Born~

"Push," the Maester commanded Rhaenyra, glancing up at the woman who was gripping her husbands hands so tight her knuckles turned as white as her hair. Rhaenyra grunted, shaking her head in pain before clutching the wet nurses hand and pushing once more.

The soft cries of the little babe filled the room as Rhaenyra relaxed, laying back on her bed as the Maester wrapped her baby in cloth. Rhaenyra turned her head to the Maester and held her arms out.

"It is a girl, Princess," the Maester said softly as he gently placed the baby into her arms. Rhaenyra had no care that her first baby was a girl, she only smiled and stared down at her crying baby as if she hung the moon. Rhaenerya's eyes don't leave the baby as the door opens and Leanor Velaryon walked inside. He spoke to the Maester before standing next to a very tired Rhaenyra.

"You must rest, Rhaenyra," Leanor commanded softly, looking down at the tired eyes of the woman who refused to let go of her whimpering baby. Rhaenyra lifted her head and looked at Leanor.

"She's beautiful, don't you think," she asked him quietly, turning her eyes back to her daughter. Leanor smiled warmly and nodded.

"She is beautiful indeed. Have you decided a name-"

"Aemma." Leanor smiled once more before looking at the Maester. The Maester nodded in understanding and sucked in a breath.

"We must let you and the babe rest, Princess," the Maester insisted, stepping forward to grab the baby from Rhaenyra. She looked to the Maester before nodding to herself and placing the baby into his arms. The Maester cradled the babe in his arms carefully, before turning and leaving the room, the wet nurses following after him quietly.

"When I wake, I wish to find an egg for her," Rhaenyra told Leanor, sleep heavy in her voice.

"I will take you to choose an egg, but first you must rest." Rhaenyra nodded, her eyes closing and she fell into a deep slumber.

~*~

Rhaenyra stared down at her sleeping baby, a red dragons egg nestled next to her. The door opened and Rhaenyra lifted her head, locking eyes with Ser Harwin Strong. He closed the door behind him softly and glanced at the baby. Rhaenyra's eyes drifted down to the baby as Harwin stood next to the cradle.

"She looks much like you, your grace," Harwin stated softly. Rhaenyra gave him a faint smile before shaking her head.

"I believe she has your eyes," Rhaenyra said, giving him a small glance. Harwin gave her a soft smile and glanced back down at the baby.

"May I," he asked, gesturing to the baby. Rhaenyra looked at the peacefulness of the sleeping baby before nodding softly. Rhaenyra reached into the cradle, moving the egg aside gently before wrapping her hands around the baby, lifting her from the cradle so delicately she didn't wake up. Rhaenyra gently placed the small child in Harwin's arms and stepped back.

"Does she have a name," Harwin asked quietly, glancing at Rhaenyra briefly. Rhaenyra smiled faintly.

"Aemma," she muttered. Harwin nodded, eyes focused on the sleeping babe as he rocked back and forth.

"I have no doubt she'll be like her mother." Harwin's words twisted something in Rhaenyra, making her shake her head and scoff lightly.

"Be scorned by the kingdom for being a first born daughter, not son? Have everyone's eyes watching her every move? She will not be able to grow as freely as I did." Rhaenyra walked to where Harwin stood and took the baby from him, placing her back in the cradle, cuddled up to the egg.

"Why can she not grow as freely as you did?" 

"Times have changed. People will question her lineage, that I am sure of. I'll need to have a son quickly." 

"If your father, the king, believes her lineage is pure, no one will question it." Rhaenyra shook her head and glanced at the man.

"She looks nothing like my husband, there will be questions." Harwin stepped forward.

"Rhaenyra-"

"Leave us," she insisted quietly. Harwin looked as if he wanted to say more, but walked past her and out the door. Rhaenyra sat next to the cradle and used her hand to rock it slowly.

"I'm sorry, sweet girl," Rhaenyra whispered to the sleeping baby. The baby stirred in the cradle, turning to Rhaenyra, peeling her big, brown eyes open. "You would have a better life if you were born to another mother, but you have been born to me. Born to a life without freedom, a life where everything you do will be watched and judged. I only hope you were born with a dragons heart, it will be the only thing to protect you." Rhaenyra reached her hand out and smiled as the baby wrapped her little hand around Rhaenyra's finger.

The babe closed her eyes and Rhaenyra rested her cheek on the cradle. The room was silent, the only sounds being the quiet whimpers of the resting baby and the crackling of the fire. Rhaenyra's finger was still in the grip of her baby, so she gently removed her finger and stood quietly. Rhaenyra carefully removed the red dragon egg and crossed the room, placing it above a small fire in the egg warmer.

"Issa byka zaldrīzes," Rhaenyra whispered to the sleeping baby. My little dragon. Rhaenyra leaned over the cradle and pressed a light kiss upon her daughters forehead. "Rest, sweet girl."

With one final look back at the babe, Rhaenyra left the room. No doubt crossed Rhaenyra's mind that Aemma was going to grow into a fierce dragon. A true Targaryen.