⚜️1⚜️

Y/n lived with their parents in the center of Paris. They weren't really rich, just ordinary citizens, but their parents both worked hard to bring food on the table. Y/n usually spent their free time helping around the house or going for short walks in the nearby streets. They loved it when some festivals happened, for example Topsy Turvy.
They loved how much fun this one was and they asked their parents every year to go there with them.  This year was different, Y/n was old enough to go there on their own. They were nervous, but excited, because it meant that they can be there the whole time! Y/n was an introverted person, so even thou there lived many families with kids around their age in their neighborhood, they didn't have any friends. It was a bit sad, but they got used to it, because at least they had a great friendship with their parents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the day of Topsy turvy came, Y/n was very excited. They went few hours before it began to get something for them and their parents. As they went to the bakery, they bumped into someone.
"I'm sorry." they apologized.
"Don't worry, it's nothing. Do you know where is the Palace of Justice ?" the person asked. It was a guy with short blonde hair,  short beard and he was dressed in a blue cloak. He also had a horse with him. Y/n was a bit surprised by the guy and his question. They sure went around Palace of Justice, but they didn't remember which way.
"I'd like to help you, but sadly I can't remember the way there. I'm sorry." Y/n said.
"It's alright, I guess I'll just have to ask someone else. My name's Phoebus by the way. And yours ?"
"Y/n." they said sheepishly.
"Nice to meet you, Y/n."
"Same here. I'm sorry I would like to talk more, but I gotta get something right now."
"Oh don't worry, I'm sure we'll meet again. Have a nice day."
"You too." Y/n said and went their way. They couldn't forget about Phoebus, he was just so nice. They hoped that they would really see him again.

The festival of fools had started and Y/n joined in the fun, observed everything and had a good time. When it was about time to vote for the king of fools, their excitement grew bigger, since it was the funniest part of the festival. They watched as a group of people on the stage tried to make the ugliest face in Paris to win. When there was only one person left, it turned out that they weren't wearing any kind of mask and that they actually have a deformed face! Someone from the crowd even said that it was the bellringer from Notre Dame. Y/n couldn't believe this. They heard some rumours about who the bellringer could be and what he might look like, but they never imagined he'd look the way he did. The poor hunchback covered their face in fear and Y/n felt really sorry for him. But then Quasimodo was crowned as the king of fools and tears of joy could be seen on his face. Y/n had mixed feelings, yes people seemed to be celebrating the bellringer, but it was meant as a joke, wasn't it ? Or was this all for everyone's fun, including his ? Nevertheless they were happy for him. Sadly, that didn't last long. The crowd brought Quasi on a different stage, smaller one, which was shaped like a wheel. And then someone threw a tomato at him. Y/n got very confused. 'Is this a thing at the festival of fools ?' they thought to themselves. They couldn't remember anything like this happening in previous years. More people started throwing vegetables at the poor bellringer and to top it all off some people threw ropes. Y/n felt like going up there and standing up for him, but part of them was afraid to do that.

They were looking around if someone wants to join them, they saw Phoebus! He was on his horse talking to minister Frollo. Maybe he wanted to help Quasimodo too! With a confident feeling, that they're not alone in this, Y/n walked up to where the bellringer was and shouted at the crowd to stop. They had a great timing, since Quasi started choking from all those ropes around his neck. They suddenly felt very unnerved, but got surprised to see Esmeralda joining them. She came up to Quasi, wiped his face and said:
"Don't be afraid. I'm sorry, this wasn't supposed to happen."
"Are you alright ?" Y/n quickly asked him. The bellringer seemed too shocked or scared to say something, so he just nodded in response.
"You two, get down at once!" Frollo shouted from his chair.
"Yes your honour, just as soon as I free this poor creature." Esmeralda said.
"H-he didn't deserve this, you know." Y/n added, surprised that they were capable of being so loud and brave.
"I forbid it!" Frollo said.
Esmeralda ignored what he said and cut the ropes that trapped Quasi. Y/n helped him stand up.
"How dare you, defy  me ?!" Frollo asked in an enraged tone.
"You mistreat this poor boy, the same way you mistreat my people. You speak of justice, yet you're cruel to those most in need of your help!" Esme said.
"Silence !"
"Justice !" Y/n and Esme shouted in unison.
"Mark my words you two, you will pay for this insolvence."
"Then it appears we've crowned the wrong fool. The only fool I see, is you!" Esmeralda said and threw the fake crown that was for the king of fools in Frollo's direction.
"Exactly, only fool would act like you!" Y/n shouted at Frollo. Their mind was reacting in two opposite ways, it was proud for their bravory, but also shocked. They felt like they lost their mind. What made them act this way ? Was it the fact, that parents weren't with them ? Or was it because of Phoebus ?

Woohoo the first chapter is done! I hope someone out there will like this story. Have a nice day, reader! <3