15

Two days later…….

I was almost ecstatic to see the plains right. I was sick of snow and forests full of grizzly bears. We finally reach the yard when I notice there’s a man on the porch, smoking a cigarette. 

“Do you know him?” Kelly asked, looking at us. I shake my head. 

“I have never seen that man before.” I respond, looking at him. Kieran’s eyes widened and Daven had a mouth full of sour grapes. Ethan and Aiyanna looked confused. Kelly stopped the wagon and Kieran jumped out. 

“Kieran!” Aiyanna yells. Daven gets out with him. 

“You fucking bastard, how the hell did you find us?” Kieran had his hands in fists. 

“You’re hanging around some well-known figures, of course I’d find you.” The man gets up. 

“Go to hell, old man. You don’t deserve to know us.” Kieran was pissed. I had never seen him this angry. 

Ethan and Aiyanna looked up from the wagon. 

“Are those-?” He asked. 

“The baby you abandoned and the other baby you made and ran away from.” Ethan shook his head. 

“You look like your mother.” The man smiled at Ethan and Aiyanna. 

“Why are you here?” Daven crossed his arms. 

“So I’ve been made aware that you are hanging out with Mrs. Marciales.” 

“That was my married name. It’s Mrs. Ayala for you.” I hop off the wagon. “And what of it?” 

“Well, I’m sure you’ve all heard Gerald Beckner wants to get rid of criminals.” The man I’m guessing is the Blackwoods’ dad paces in front of the house. “That would include all the shiners, gambling ring runners, and anyone he doesn’t like.” 

“I’m sure we could handle them ourselves. But why are you here?” I raise my brow. 

“Long story short, he’s got a list of targets. Surprisingly, you’re not in there. However, you are in the circles of those who are. We feel like he’s up to something and wants to become governor as an excuse to hide his own illegal activities..” 

“Ok, but how does that concern us?” I asked, slightly tilting in one direction. 

“I wanted to protect my sons and daughter-” the man started. 

“First and foremost, you failed at that. The times we almost got taken off to school, the time we almost starved one winter because we had no food, the time the fucking Catholics came and cut off our hair and burned our regalia, the time Ethan and Aiyanna almost died from fever as kids…You failed already.” Kieran’s voice was getting angrier. 

“I didn’t want to leave you or your mother. I didn’t have a choice.” The man pleaded. 

“I don’t want to hear it. I don’t need your protection, Father dearest.” Kieran turned around. 

“Kieran, please.” The man sighs. He looks at me. “What are you to him?” 

“Look, if you’re going to try to use me to convince him to let you back in his life, I don’t think so.” 

“But what are you?” 

“It took us three tries to get it out of you and we still don’t know what the fuck you want. So spill or scram.”

“Gerald is going to give a speech in Las Palomas, if you were interested.I needed an inside person to be able to go into these and figure out what he’s saying and if he’s doing anything suspicious.” 

“And what would we get in turn for being your spies?” I cross my arms. 

“Immunity from the case and of course, I’d pay you as well.” He looks at us. 

“Kieran, is this something you’d be fine with or you want us to kick his ass?” I look at him. He looks like he’s deep in thought about something. 

He walks up to the man and looks at him. 

“Let my mom and grandparents out of the rez.” Kieran crossed his arms. “And we’ll do it.” 

The man sighed. “Yes, son. Anyway, I should get going. Here’s my card if you need to reach me.” 

He hands Kieran a card. US Marshal Josiah Lewis, it read and then a telegram to reach him at. 

“I guess I’ll see you around. Or hear from you.” He hops on his horse, a black and white Appaloosa. Kieran sighs. 

“I guess we better do that.” He shakes his head, pressing his hand against his face. “He better go through with that.” 

“What if he doesn’t?” Aiyanna responds. Kieran pats his holster. 

“Something I should have done the first time he came back.” He gets on the wagon. “Anyone want to stay?” 

“Nope, at this point I’d say we’re all good friends and want to stick around.” Ethan responded, putting his arm around Desiree who scoots closer to him. 

“Are you two-” Aiyanna points to them. 

“Yes.” Desiree puts her head against his chest. 

“Congratulations!” I clap my hands together. 

“You won’t die alone!” Daven chuckles. 

“Boy, hush.” Desiree stated. “Or you want me to tell everyone ‘bout you and Willow-” 

“Well, then.” Kelly shakes his head. 

“So are you and Aiya an item?” Daven asked. 

“No, she’s a great gal but-” Kelly shrugs. “That’s all she is.” 

“Agreed.” Aiyanna leans against the wagon wall. “And what about Kieran and Rose?” 

I turn red. “Uh, I um-” 

“I’m just waiting on you, Rose.” Kieran crosses his arms looking at me. 

“In that case, you can stop waiting. I would like to date you.” I smile at him. His face lights up and he looks away, smiling. 

“I would like that very much.” He looks in my direction again. I turn to see that Desiree and Willow entered the house. They came out with a lot more food and a few blankets. 

“Well, then, lovebirds. We got another long ass trip to take so hop back in your wagon or grab your horse or something.” Kelly hollers. I go to grab Erendira and Kieran grabs Achewon. 

“Can I ride with one of you?” Aiyanna asked, hopping off the wagon. “I’m sick of sitting.” 

“Hop in.” Kieran motioned her as she jumped on Achewon. 

“Same.” Willow goes to Erendira after putting the stuff on the wagon. Let’s go.