Part 42 FINALE: "Catch A Falling Star..."

In front of the Gate of Gybralltyr

"Princess?"

"Zayra, we're here!"

Raedyn and Edri appeared in the cavern, just in time to see Zayra crumple to her knees. They rushed to the princess' side. Edri whipped off her glove and began searching for wounds under the blood soaking Zayra's gown. "The others aren't far behind, she whispered quickly.

Zayra couldn't tear her eyes away from Polaris' debilitated figure.
"It's too late..." she choked, as tears fell down her face.
"Polaris!" Jaran's voice carried through the cavern, as he and Beren, Damaris, Azelie, Aurelle, Tessa, Denahlia, Markus and Korsan arrived, borne by Erlis, who shifted from dragon to human as they joined their friends in the cavern.
Denahlia's eyes shifted from the two dead bodies she recognized to the rapidly-declining one she didn't. "Wow," she muttered under her breath. "Is that him?"
The ground began to rumble, as more of the shed blood seeped from the wounds and spread in red, branching rivulets farther than it should have, all the way to the six stone pedestals, and as the blood pooled underneath the statues, the rumble increased, until the statues began to crack and crumble, giving way to bright-glowing skin underneath.

Trevon looked up at them and gasped, as the familiar faces took shape, and the wings began to beat again.

"Gemmar!" He cried as they surrounded him. "Allhenn! Scathys! You're alive!"

Tyrven!" Boomed the tall Angel with long dark hair tied back in a tail. "It is good to see that you have survived... but--" His eyes wandered to the devastation before him. "What happened--"

A female Angel gave a quick glance toward the back wall of the cavern and warned her compatriots, "The Gate collapses! Look out!"
As she spoke, several booming cracks shattered the Gate, and threatened to collapse the entire cavern along with it.

The Angels did not hesitate, and Raedyn helped along with Sir Roger, bringing all those who were still alive--including Polaris--out of the cavern, and down to a high platform just below them, at the edge of the city.

As soon as her feet came to rest on firm ground, Tessa ran over to Polaris and wrapped her arms around him. The six Angels withdrew to observe without interfering.

 The six Angels withdrew to observe without interfering

"I don't believe it!" Tessa choked as she sobbed. "All this time... You're real! You were actually there!" She ran her hand over Polaris' face to brush his silvery locks aside. "I can see you now!"

"Tess..." Polaris grunted, reaching a feeble hand toward her.
Tessa grasped it in her own. "Polaris," she said. "My guardian Shadow!" Her face crumpled, and she wept, although she kissed his hand and pressed it against her own cheek.

Sir Roger--or, as the others knew him, Juros--stepped forward so that Polaris could look at him.
"Do you now understand my intention for giving you this--" he gestured toward the Knife in his hand and to Polaris himself, "assignment?"
Polaris managed to form his answer in just one word, "Yes." His eyes traveled to Zayra, standing forlornly at her husband's side.

Juros nodded. "Since you now understand why I give the mortals these Gifts, and you recognize their ability to stand with what they are given... Polaris, I release you." With the tip of the knife, Juros pricked the heel of his own hand, letting his own blood drip down and wash away the wicked stains left by Mallory.

In Tessa's arms, Polaris felt his strength return, and he let out a deep sigh. The color returned to his pale cheeks, and after a moment he was able to sit up, and even to stand. Tessa supported him up to his feet, aiding him in moving very slowly until he nodded to signal that he could support himself.

The young woman looked at the old soldier, her eyes squinted as she searched his face. "How did you do that?" she asked. "Who are you?"

The Gifted friends all exchanged knowing looks and grins. Markus finally leaned over to his cousin and whispered, "I guess Polaris wasn't just referring to a star, after all."

Polaris, meanwhile, took this opportunity to kneel in front of Sir Roger, and he glanced up to Tessa.
"Lady Tessa," he murmured, "It is my honor to present to you my own ruler, Juros of Justicia."