Chapter 3: Backstabber

A low whistle filled the air as Julio walked down the sidewalk. He paused, tilting his head to the side and smiled. He continued forward, Turning sharply and slipping into the darkness of an alleyway. He carried a tune, hands in pockets and stopped at the end. 

A light thud made him turn. A familiar head of red hair stood out from the darkness. 

"You know, you should really get that mug covered. It makes you that much easier to spot."

The person scowled, leering up at him, "Shut up. I've told you I'm fine."

"And I've told you you'll get killed."

"I hate you so much Julio."

He smiled broadly, revealing his slightly sharpened canines, "I know. What do you have for me Ira?"

Ira huffed, crossing her arms, "For the last time, it's Iracebeth you insufferable pig!"

Julio laughed, "Whatever, you didn't answer my question." He raised a brow, "What do you have for me?"

Iracebeth sighed, pulling out an orange packet, "Inside it has the pictures you requested. And it has the drive."

Julio stretched out his hand, beckoning her. With an annoyed huff, she walked closer and placed the packet in his hand. He moved quickly, grabbing the packet and gripped her wrist in a bruising grip. 

She tried to phase but she felt empty. A cold dread filled her veins as an almost icy sensation trickled out from where their skin touched. His eyes burned into hers, empty pools of darkness and hatred eating into her soul. 

"Give me attitude like that again and I will strip you of your power and leave you to rot. Do you understand me?"

Her tongue felt like a lump in her mouth, inoperable and useless. 

His grip tightened and she felt her carpals grind together, and she let out a cry of pain, "Do you understand me Ira?" He asked again. 

She nodded quickly and she was shoved back. A dark, hand shaped bruise covered her wrist and it stung to touch. Iracabeth stared at him as he opened the package and thumbed through the photos. He paused on a particular picture. 

He tilted his head to the side, "Who was running surveillance on Overwatch and Machlia?"

"I was." 

He looked up from the photos, and she took a few steps back. 

"I see." 

He pocketed the pictures and palmed the drive, "This has everything?" 

She slowly nodded, not daring to speak.

Julio smiled and said, "Good. We're going to need it. Round everyone up, we're having a villain meeting. Scarlet Bunker, one hour.”

Iracabeth nodded, backing away, "Scarlet Bunker, one hour. Got it boss." She chuckled nervously before phasing through a wall behind her. 

Once out of sight she leaned forward slightly, hands on her knees and took a deep breath. With wide eyes she straightened and forced herself to calm down. She closed her eyes, took another breath and let it out slowly. 

She quelled the uneasy feeling in her stomach and pulled out her phone. Entering her password she entered the encrypted channel where she stored all her more…illicit contacts. 

She sent each of them a text with Julio's message and gritted her teeth. 

This was bad. 

Really bad.