Chicken Nuggets

C/N: Crush name
B/F/N: Best Friend Name
C/N/N: Crush Nickname
C/E/C: Crush eye colour
C/GF/N: Crush girlfriend name (you can just make up something if he's single lol)

I step out of my car after saying bye to my mom, the stupid wind making my hair stick out in every odd angle. I slung my bag on my shoulder, and rolled my eyes at the familiar sight of the school in front of me. I turn towards the wooden table and chairs that I have sat at every single morning since I came to the school to wait for my best friend. I scroll though Instagram, hoping that no one talks to me and trying to look like I am doing something, when I hear the familiar crunch of the gravel as my best friends mom's car pulls into the car park. My face lights up when I realise that I don't have to sit here anymore. My best friend, B/F/N, gets out of the car and makes direct eye contact. She sends me a small shake of her head, and I wonder what that could possibly mean. Her older brother, C/N, gets out of the car beside her and my smile widens. I feel my painful crush growing just by seeing him again. As they get closer, I see C/N's eyes. The usual glimmering C/E/C are rimmed with dark circles, and the tips of him mouth are down turned. He is looking at the ground, and his usually well presented uniform is wrinkly and untidy. I knew something was up straight away. Seeing as I'm not exactly close to him, I don't speak up. B/F/N makes her way to my side, and sends me a 'we'll talk about it later' look. I look back at her and give a small nod.

"Hey B/F/N, hey C/N, how was your weekends?" I say before I can let an awkward silence overcome us.
"Oh mine was great! We had Maccas for dinner on Saturday, and we visited Aunty Emily and her new little baby," I roll my eyes slightly. She always talks about that bloody baby. As she drones on about her baby cousin, I see C/N's eyes sparkle. Before even thinking, I turned to C/N.

"What did you do C/N/N?" He looks up at me and I crack a smile, hoping I can make him feel a little better after whatever happened.

"Nothing," He says, and I almost didn't catch it because he was being so quiet.

"C'mon, you had to have done something," I say, trying to get him to talk. Whatever he is going through, he needs someone to talk to. He looks up at me for a second, and when I see the ghost of a smile I know that I have won him over.

"Well... I guess I had maccas too..." He said quietly.

"Cool! What did you get?" I say. He cracks a small smile, and I know what he is about to say is funny. He usually does that, shows that lopsided grin before he says something that he finds funny. I always laugh, even if they aren't that funny.

"Chicken Nuggets," I smiled back at him. It had always been a thing between us, a source of jokes I guess. It's nothing special, just that I always proclaimed my fondness for chicken nuggets and he teased me. By teasing me, I mean that he sends me snaps of chicken nuggets to make me jealous. Then sometimes, when he had too many, he gives me them. Those moments make me want to just kiss him right then. But I'm not stupid, I'm in grade 10, how could I possibly have met the person I want to spend the rest of my life with? I'm just clouded with a silly crush on him, when I get over him I will think 'how could I have thought he liked me?' Then again I do now. It's not my fault that he is perfect and I do want to spend the rest of my life with him.
"Save me any?" I ask. He laughs. He laughs. At a joke I made! The all powerful C/N, that is actually a big Cinnabon. He was sad and I made him laugh! I have won at laugh I think.

"I was going to, but I was too hungry," I roll my eyes playfully.

"Always thinking of yourself," I say before laughing. I turn back to B/F/N who is looking at us with a confused look on her face. I grab her arm and pull her into the school, after saying goodbye to C/N.

"No. What was that??" She asked, stopping in her spot.

"What? I was just talking to C/N. I brought him out of his mood so you should be thanking me," I flick my hair behind my back jokingly,"

"Y/N. Listen to me," I stop and look her dead in the eyes. There was barely any people around us as she took a step closer to me.

"Y/N, C/GF/N broke up with him," I blink. That's why he was sad. His girlfriend broke up with him. My emotions go on a roller coaster in about three seconds. At first, I want to go over to him and smoosh him in cuddles and make sure he is okay and watch sappy romcoms to make him feel better. Then, I feel rage wash over me, as I realise that that little cockroach made my C/N sad. Who gave her the right? Then I feel excitement take over me. She broke up with him! I have a chance! Sure she broke his heart, but that's what I'm here for right? To pick up the broken pieces and be a way better girlfriend than him. Even though neither of us have ever confessed anything other than mutual respect, a girl can dream right?