The Catcher in the Rye

June 9th, 1964 | Izumo, Japan
*Kids c'mon we're gonna be late!* Ms. Okumura had said to her husband and two
children, 18 year old Eiji Okumura and 15 year old Hanako Okumura. Eiji ran downstairs with his bag and suitcase, his sister following closely behind him.

He was rather excited to move to America, as it was also a distraction from his overwhelming thoughts of sadness. He had tried to tell his parents but they didn't believe him and getting a therapist was quite hard, But something else was inside of him..a secret feeling that he can't muster the courage or strength to say out loud. He finally stopped his daydreaming and ran to his front porch.

"Are you coming Ei - Chan, We're going to miss the Airport!" Hanako had yelled from the backseat of their fathers brand new Daihatsu Compagno. He put his luggage into the trunk and went to the backseat and sat next to his sister.

Most of the trip consisted of Eiji and Hanako playing games like iSPY, Eiji started to daydream about America..what would it be like? Will he make any new friends? Eiji stopped daydreaming when they got to the Airport.

He got his luggage and walked to the entrance. The airport was huge! It was white and pristine as anything as he had ever seen before.

*Time Skip*

Eiji and his family we're waiting at the airport terminal for their flight. *Passengers of flight 207 may now board the plane* A woman on the intercom said in Japanese, "Passengers of flight 207 may now board the plane" Eiji guessed it was english because it sounded familiar to what he was reading in his American novels that he had bought at the local bookstore back home.

He and his family boarded the plane, it was rather small inside the plane but he was amazed as the only other kind of transportation he took was to visit his grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles in Tokyo *All Passengers please make sure that they are in their seats* A man had said in the intercom, there was a voice that said the same in English.

Eiji was so excited, Meanwhile his sister, mother and father were fast asleep.
He looked in his window seat, the view was absolutely breathtaking. He guessed it was about 7 at night because he saw the stars peak out of the dark blue sky, His eyes drifted into a somber sleep.

Once the plane landed, Eiji and his family grabbed their luggage and headed to the bus station. The bus ride to Cape Cod was not so far from the Boston Airport, only it lasted just an hour and once they got there the moving van was already settling furniture and other objects inside their house.

The house was rather medium sized for the neighborhood they were living in, inside the house was there were three bedrooms, a bathroom and a small kitchen.

Eiji and Hanako ran upstairs to see who could get the bigger bedroom, they played a game of rock paper scissors to see who would get the room, Eiji eventually won but Hanako still complained to their mother, who simply stated that Eiji won fair and square.

A few days later, Eiji and Hanako got enrolled in school. Eiji at Willow Academy for Boys and Hanako at Phoenix Middle School, They were both rather excited.

Later that day Eiji ran to the library and went to the history section, 'Cape Cod, It's people and their history' by Henry Crocker Kittredge *Thats quite a mouthful* Eiji thought...oh well, it's a good start! He walked over to the librarian's desk and checked it out. He ran back home and tried to read it cover to cover, but he wasn't the fastest reader in the world.

He looked outside his window and saw the view of the neighborhood, He thought of how different it was from Izumo. The scenery, weather and even the buildings...He loved all of it.