Tertullian: Early Church (African) Father, Not Slave.

"I'm not saying that I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee you that I will spark the brain that will change the world."

-Tupac Shakur

I'm not going to lie to you. I have been waiting on this topic to come around. The internet can be a good thing and it can be a tragic thing. When it comes to getting to the facts, the Internet or rather, Social Media prefers "the most likes equals fact" or "if it gets re-posted enough, it must be true". Which brings me to the most recent "fake news"... "Christianity is the white man's religion, forced upon black people". Is this true? Yes and no. Let's talk about it.

Who is Tertullian?

Well, his full name was Quintus Septimus Florens Tertullianus (Don't worry. We do not need to know how to pronounce his name). Tertullian is held to be one of the Early Church Fathers. His title was revoked due to him taking the view of a Montanist (heresy at the time). His father was  believed to be a centurion (the commander of a century in the ancient Roman army) in an AFRICAN-based legion base attached to the governor of Province. Tertullian being born in Carthage (Northern AFRICA) and Carthage is now present-day, Tunisia. Tunisia is in Africa. Concluding that Tertullian is indeed AFRICAN! Others will say that Carthage (Tunisia) is and/or was made up of Semitics (Assyrians, Arabs, and Hebrews). I am not concerned with the make up of the group. All I care for is that Tunisia is located in Northern Africa! This would eliminate the baseless claim that "Christianity is the white man's religion!"

Let's us get back to the discussion at hand. Tertullian converted to Christianity by "being impressed by certain Christian attitudes and beliefs: the courage, determination of martyrs and uncompromising belief in one God." It never said that Tertullian was oppressed, whipped, forced into slavery and then. forced to choose to Christianity. Not only did Tertullian chose Christianity, he emerged as a vibrant leader within the Northern African Christian community. To make sure there is no attempt to say Tertullian was somehow, brainwashed, I will show you that Tertullian was a free thinker. Tertullian had differing views on the Christian faith throughout his lifetime. He went from being an Orthodox Christian to a Montanist. Then, he believed that Montanist was not rigid enough for him. This prompted Tertullian to create his own sect of Faith. He is the Early Church Father who coined the term "Trinity". There you have it! An African Christian created the dominant belief in the Christian Faith! Therefore, Tertullian was not brain-washed. In fact, he influenced the way Believers see Jesus in relation to God.

Christianity In Africa:

In the Book of Acts Chapter 8 verses 26 through 40, it talks about the baptizing of an Ethiopian-

"Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, "Rise and go toward the south[] to the road that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza." This is a desert place. 27 And he rose and went. And there was an Ethiopian, a eunuch, a court official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of all her treasure. He had come to Jerusalem to worship 28 and was returning, seated in his chariot, and he was reading the prophet Isaiah. 29 And the Spirit said to Philip, "Go over and join this chariot." 30 So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, "Do you understand what you are reading?" 31 And he said, "How can I, unless someone guides me?" And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. 32 Now the passage of the Scripture that he was reading was this:

"Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter
    and like a lamb before its shearer is silent,
    so he opens not his mouth.
33 In his humiliation justice was denied him.
    Who can describe his generation?
For his life is taken away from the earth."

34 And the eunuch said to Philip, "About whom, I ask you, does the prophet say this, about himself or about someone else?" 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning with this Scripture he told him the good news about Jesus. 36 And as they were going along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, "See, here is water! What prevents me from being baptized?"[]38 And he commanded the chariot to stop, and they both went down into the water, Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him. 39 And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord carried Philip away, and the eunuch saw him no more, and went on his way rejoicing."

(I know there will be some people, specifically of my skin tone, will say: The Bible is made up and can't be trusted. Let me take you through history, actual facts.)

Christian Kings in Africa-

When Christianity started to become popular in Northern Africa, it prompted other parts of Africa to join in. Nubia (present day Sudan) is one of two countries that claim to be the world's oldest Christian nation. The Kings or Emperors in Nubia (present-day Sudan) decided the kingdom's religion. Frumentius was a Phoenician Missionary. He tutored Ezana. Who was Ezana? He was the young prince of the kingdom of Axum(present-day Eritrea and Ethiopia. Frumentius mentored the African prince in the Christian faith. Ezana went on to become one of the greatest Christian kings of Africa. 

During the 12th and 13th century, the Zagwe dynasty in Ethiopia, a family of Christian kings, revived Christian art, literature, and church expansion. This dynasty is also known for building monuments in honor of their Christian religion. 

The Coptic Church In Egypt-

(Yes, Egypt is in Africa!)

The Coptic Church believe that their Church dates back to around 50 AD, when the Apostles Thomas and Mark is said to have visited Egypt. Also, there was a catechetical school in Alexandria, Egypt. Which, Pantaenus, Origen and Clement encouraged Christianity. If you are not familiar with those names, they are held as the Early Church Fathers. Origen is another individual that was born in Alexandria, Egypt. This strengthens the stance of people of color FREELY embracing Christianity and not it being shoved down their throats or whipped across their flesh.

Conclusion?

Yes, there is a quote that read something to the effect of "When the Christian Missionaries came to Africa, the Africans bowed their heads in prayer and when the Africans looked up, they were in chains". Yes, Christianity was weaponized by the Europeans to enslave Africans and then, America enhanced that weapon by making Christianity in the image of "whiteness". Those are all things that cannot be disputed. It is backed by actual facts. Where it becomes an issue is when the argument is left in a vacuum and not allowed to be connected with the other facts in history. 

The connected facts show that Christianity, without the flawed hands of humans, is meant to be pure. The way it was intended was to build a relationship with God and the world. What it was not meant to be was this savagery tool for enslavement or keeping a person docile. Yes, America white-washed Christianity during slavery. But, if black people believe that God is having Gabriel and Michael stand at the gate telling people, "If you are black, you have to go through the back"... you are wrong! If you are under the impression that Jesus was white, you are wrong! Therefore, if Jesus was not white (historically), how is it then that Christianity is the white man's religion? 

*Disclaimer: Take Em' To Sunday Schools is not meant to overwhelm readers with information that they cannot grasp in one read. We take topics apart, piece by piece in order for readers to fully grasp the concepts that are being taught.