Misfortune

Author's Note:

Hey everyone! Thanks for reading! Please follow, comment, and/or vote if you like the story! 

Word count: 2,072

⚠️TRIGGER WARNINGS-trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of the chapter, please scroll down and check the list if you might be upset by reading!

There was unlucky, and then there was Dream. Unlucky didn't even begin to describe it. The past month, almost all of October, had been a disaster. Anything that could go wrong -anything that was up to chance- had been doomed. 

It ranged from little things, like not getting a proper chair at his own Twitchcon panel or leaving his favorite pair of earbuds in San Diego, to big things, like hurricanes and then unfortunate incident in the hotel room. He hadn't though it was possible to simultaneously knock himself out, open a cut on his face, and skin his legs and shoulders, but apparently it was. He (and the eyepatch he'd had to wear for several days) was living proof. 

George and Sapnap were the only ones he had told about the maybe-curse. Everyone else, especially the fans, thought he was just unlucky, or severely uncoordinated. Or, you know, haunted. 

There was actually a clip of him saying that he didn't believe in ghosts or the supernatural circling, which even he could admit was funny. That had definitely changed now. It's easy to become a believer in magic when your entire life is turned upside down in one night from one chance encounter with a witch. 

At least George was here. He was just as amazing in person as he was online, and no curse could change that. 

Now, they were finally back home after a long month of almost nonstop travel. Of course, Patches had decided to use the entire house as a litter box, something she had never done before. 

No doubt about it, it was the curse. It had been getting worse as the month progressed. Dream didn't know much (or anything, really) about magic or curses, but it made sense that whatever it was the witch had done to him would not only get worse over time, but also affect him more strongly around days like Halloween, which was only a few days away. Many different cultures though of Halloween as a day dedicated to ghosts and dark magic. In South and Central America, there was Día De Los Muertos, the day of the dead. In the United States, almost everyone celebrated by dressing up, trick of treating, or carving pumpkins into jack-o'-lanterns. The balance of magic must be affected by the sudden mass participation in supernatural activities. 

As Dream's curse got worse, the more misfortune he had. For example, in the past day alone, he'd gotten a flat tire when driving Sapnap's Tesla, fallen down a set of stairs, and tried to make George's favorite pasta but somehow ended up with the kitchen on fire. It wasn't too bad of a fire, and luckily, he was able to extinguish it easily, but still. No one wants to be the guy who burns down his house making pasta

Sapnap and George were both supportive, even when the bad luck affected them too. Like when he and George had been trying to spend a relaxing day at the salon, getting pedicures, and they had somehow been recognized. Dream was a little bitter about the interruption to his da- uh, day out, that is, with George. He loved meeting fans, of course, but it was still a little overwhelming. 

Or, the time they had all gone to a concert, and a seating mix up moved them from the fifth row to the fiftieth.

That had sucked. 

Without his friends by his side, Dream wouldn't have been handling the situation nearly as well, but he was still struggling. He'd gotten better at recognizing the curse's symptoms after a month of living with it, though.