Please Don't Leave Me - Bagginshield

Blame.
It was all his.
"Thorin... I..."
Why was he so blind? Why couldn't he just see what he had and be happy with it?
"No, don't speak. Focus on breathing."
All that gold. Worth nothing compared to what he could lose now.
"I'm... Sorry... I shouldn't... Have taken... It..."
The only one he'd ever loved, his one, bleeding out into the snow.
"It was my fault, Bilbo, it was all my fault."
Help. They needed help.
"I... Thorin... I'm glad to... To have shared in your perils... Each and every... One..."
Somebody. Anybody.
"No, Master Baggins. You shall heal, and grow strong. Return to your books, and your armchair. Plant your trees and watch them grow."
His world was falling apart around him. His home was full of his kin but would feel empty without his love. The halls were huge but he would be claustrophobic in his chambers without his hobbit to hold.
"I fear... That I shall not..."
Death was the only certainty. That was something he had always been taught. But not today. He refused to let it win today, to claim his heart. His true heart, not some petty stone hewn from rock.
"Do not say that, Bilbo..."
Thorin Oakenshield never cried. Not for his home, not for the hundreds of dwarrows that lost their lives in Moria, and only briefly when he was young for his brother.
"Thorin... I... I lo... I love y..."
Silence.
And then, Thorin wept for the first time in years.
---
A/n: I know it's not a reader insert but I love Bagginshield, so this is a kind of horrifying AU. *coughs* Sorry for the feels. Leave requests!