Pride

Severus felt disoriented and confused.

He was in his room within the apartment room in Knockturn Alley, head rested on the desk while his onyx eyes darted onto the letters scribbled on a piece of parchment as they formed the same name and sentence over and over.

TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE

I AM LORD VOLDEMORT

Severus thought the anagram was clever, but the fact the man had helped him, took him in after his worst humiliation sent a gnawing pit of worry and suspicion in him. Why the Dark Lord would take part of his precious time to be with him? Shouldn't he plan for the betterment of wizardkind? Whenever he glanced at the Dark Lord, Severus couldn't help thinking how the powerful wizard got those finely made robes that silently billowing behind him as he walked without much of a sound. He knew he couldn't compare to the likes of the great Lord Voldemort himself.

His nose twitched at the smell of his body odor and sighing at the dreadful prospect of being vulnerable even by himself, Severus stood up gingerly with his black cloak still draped over him before taking the dark blue towel and opened his school trunk for clothes only for him to blink in utmost puzzlement and surprise.

His worn-down outfits were replaced.

He rummaged the entire trunk but much to his dismay, his old yet familiar clothes were gone. Had Marvolo – no, the Dark Lord – bought the new robes? But he didn't have any money to pay for them!

And yet, he... he should make an impression, right? The Dark Lord would not just take anyone under his cloak; he would look for something valuable in return. However, Severus only had his magic and sense of loyalty. Would that be enough?

He took one of the silky black robes and marveled at how soft it was, unlike the rough raggedy clothes he often wore that only served as a reminder of his poverty. He held it carefully as he walked out of his room, grimacing as his feet stopped at the entrance to the bathroom before taking a deep breath. It would be just like the baths he took in Hogwarts after the incident: not looking at the mirror, keep his eyes closed, shower with his clothes on and use his magic to get everything done.

It would be fine.

He was not in Hogwarts.

He would be fine.

***

It was the end of his meeting with the Death Eaters, and Lord Voldemort donned his disguise before leaving Malfoy Manor to the apartment room he rented, stopping short before opening the door. Would his guest still be around? He used his magic to sense the young man's presence and found it to be in the dining room. With narrowed eyes, he entered and saw Severus Snape was in one of the new clothes Narcissa Black-Malfoy had bought when the boy was still in his coma, but his onyx eyes were fixed onto a piece of parchment on the table.

Curious, the Dark Lord removed his glamor spells and went beside Severus to see what it was, noting with slight surprise upon realizing it was the boy's O.W.L results, which had decent grades especially for the Defense against the Dark Arts and if he remembered well, the schedule would be similar to the time he himself took the exam. That meant in spite of the traumatic experience Severus had gone through, he probably was so focused on his exams until it came crashing down in King's Cross Station.

"You won't be going there anymore," Lord Voldemort said, sensing the young man's agitation. "Send your Head of House a letter for your withdrawal from Hogwarts. Is it still Horace Slughorn?"

Severus nodded jerkily.

"Tell him you decided to go for your apprenticeship much earlier. He would suck it up like those sugar-coated pineapples he liked so much, and it bounds to put him in a high status if one of his students manages to be the youngest Potions Master in the century."