Prologue

My mother named me Verena. Unusual name for a princess, but she thought it necessary. Snow White -my mom- was a firm believer that names held power, which is why to this day the Woods remain oblivious to her real one. According to the world outside our castle, my grandmother named her Snow White because she was born in the harshest of winters and had skin as white as snow.  But very few know the real story.

My mother's real name... is Catina. It means innocent. Appropriate for the princess who wished upon magic wells and let an old hag into her home in exchange for an apple, isn't it? 

See, when my mother graduated, she returned to a home vastly different than the one she'd left. Her own mother had been replaced with a woman who -unbeknownst to her poor father and, herself at the time- was not only a Never, but the future villain of her fairytale. In sight of this, sweet Catina decided to keep her real name under wraps and share it only with those she loved and cared for. Adopting then the nickname her mother had given her when she was young as her new name. Snow White.

You know the story after that. Well, for the most part. There's one more thing you need to know before we get on with my story.

After my father married my mother and the magic of their ever after slowly settled into mere routine, something happened to their supposedly true love. It turned sour. I don't know much about it though, I tend to avoid the topic seeing as it makes my parents upset to talk about it. I asked once though, when I was young; my mother looked at me with sad eyes and a weak smile and said,

"Oh my love. Sometimes, people make mistakes that cost them more than their happy endings."

"Are you not happy, mommy?"

She stayed silent for a long time, a deep sadness flooding her eyes when she responded, "I am dear. Of course I am."

She never told me what was it that destroyed her happy ending, or who was it that made the mistake. All I know is that, in spite of being unhappy, my parents still reign together as King and Queen of Foxwood. It's something I deeply admire about both of them. Duty over selfish happiness. Its bittersweet, yes. To tell you the truth, when I was young I wanted nothing more than to have my parents be each other's true love. But when I grew up I learnt something heartbreakingly important. There's no such thing.

And so I long decided that my happy ending involves nothing but the happiness of my people and the protection of those I love. No princes. No romance. Not when it will become fickle and draining. Not when I could end up like my parents. Not when I could be just as hurt. So, it became very clear, when I become Queen I will love my kingdom and my kingdom alone. It'd be better that way. Safer.

My mother named me Verena. It means integrity, and it will be my sole companion during my future reign. Though to get there, there may be a long way for me to go.