Chapter 4: A Visit To Beacon

3rd POV

A Bullhead arrives just outside of the dying merc's home, as it opened up to welcome the merc on board, with Ozpin himself personally inside the Bullhead.

Ozpin: Dear Oum.. you really weren't joking with your condition.

Yap: (coughs) You think..?

Some of Beacon's personnel helped Yap to get onboard the Bullhead, since being on life support can be a bit of an inconvenience at times. Thanking them after securing him on the Bullhead, Ozpin then talks to him.

Ozpin: Well then, shall we get started, 'Deathbringer'? Or would you prefer me calling you your.. actual name instead?

Yap: (Dismisses Ozpin with a wave of his hand, rather lazily) Suit yourself.

Ozpin: Alright then.. Yap. Would you like to see how Miss Belladona has performed in the initiation process?

Yap: [It wouldn't hurt...] (Nods)

Ozpin: Alright. We can watch it later. And as for how Beacon's faring, would you like to know about it?

Yap: Probably the same old, same old. Turning incompetent youngsters into proper Huntsmen and Huntresses, yeah? (coughs) ...

Ozpin: (chuckles) Of course. Say, during your... 'work', have you met a certain old crow?

Yap: Qrow Branwen?

Ozpin: The one and only.

Yap: [Qrow Branwen huh..] Crossed blades with 'im a few times. Worked together? ...Not so. We eventually came to an agreement that benefits both of us.

Ozpin: And that would be?

Yap: We leave each other alone. That's it.

Ozpin: ...I see. I was expecting something... better. To be honest.

Yap: Not because of judging where he came from, but simply because I'd like to think that we've no business with each other anyway. So why bother seeking conflict when both of you can turn your back on each other, forgetting everything? (coughs as he finishes his last sentence) Perhaps I shouldn't say too much. (coughs more)

Ozpin, luckily prepared ahead of time, ordered the personnel to get some medicines for Yap to at least relief his coughing. 

Taking the meds and slowly drinking a glass of water afterwards, Yap looks down at the Bullhead's floor surface for a while before looking back up and giving the personnel the now empty glass.

Yap: ...Apologies. That happens quite often nowadays I'm afraid. And thanks for preparing those meds. They do help with relieving it. Temporarily, of course. 

Ozpin: I knew this would happen anyway. No need to thank me, Yap.

Yap: ....So. 

Ozpin: Hm?

Yap: You're still going on with that little mission of yours? 

Ozpin: Of course.

Yap: I meant 'that' mission. You're still not giving up?

Ozpin: ...Of course.

Yap: ...No point bothering about it now, I suppose. Now changing subjects, how's Miss Belladona's team doing?

Ozpin: She's currently under team RWBY. Pronounced as Ruby, by the way. 

Yap: Hmm... Color me impressed. Her teammates?

Ozpin: Ruby Rose, Weiss Schnee, and Yang Xiao Long.

Yap: A Schnee heiress? The hell's she doing there?

Ozpin: Beats me. Her father sent her here. Naturally, I would say she was against it.

Yap: ..Huh. Not surprised since the SDC well... let's just say we had a bit of a disagreement after that last mission of mine. Guess ol' Jacques was none too pleased. (scoffs) He thought he could use me. 

Ozpin: ... I thought so too. Anyway. How has life been treating you? Minus the... current situation of yours, of course.

Yap: I'd say it's pretty good actually. (chuckles) A retired life can be quite.. no. It is peaceful. I quite like it.

Ozpin: (nods) Peace is... not something so easily earned, after all. You should enjoy it while it lasts.

Yap: (nods) I plan to do just that,  Oz.

Both males then chatted about some mundane, everyday stuff until they arrived at Beacon.

When they arrived, Ozpin gently pushed Yap in his wheelchair around.

Ozpin: As you can see, Beacon has.. not changed much. Well, other than it's students, of course.

Yap: Would I be correct in assuming that you've.. "those" type of kids?

Ozpin: ... They've potential though.

Yap: Mind you, Oz. Most, if not, nearly all of those who've fallen before me is precisely because of these kind of students. Of course, I personally would've welcomed these dumb graduates of yours with my blade, but for now, I think I'm able to put them in their place.

Ozpin: ...If it really does come to that, you've the green light to do so, Mr. Yap.

Yap: Heh. All too happy to oblige.

Yap looked out of the Bullhead's window as they descended towards Beacon Academy, taking in the sight of the grand structure and the bustling activity around it.

Yap: [Things like these, including vacation/trip, if this is one, sure hits different once you've retired.]

Ozpin: Welcome to Beacon, Mr. Yap.

Yap gives a nod of acknowledgement to Ozpin as the door of the Bullhead opens, the headmaster slowly pushing the former down in his wheelchair.

Making their way through the bustling campus, Yap couldn't help but notice the young faces of the students around him, some wide-eyed and eager, others focused and determined.

Yap: [To believe that you all can save the world like this... Must be nice.]

Ozpin: (Notices Yap's expression) Is something the matter, Mr. Yap?

Yap: Not much. I hope these kids know what they're getting into. You know Grimms aren't just that simple, right?

Ozpin: (Chuckles) But of course. They have potential, and they have the will to fight for what's right. With it, I'm confident they'll become heroes.

Yap: (Sighs) Say what you will. Still, let's head to your office first, shall we?

Ozpin: (Nods) Of course.

Started: 30/10/2022 12.00 pm

Edit 1: 12/2/2023 8.50 pm

Edit 2: 11/6/2023 2.30 pm

Finished: 11/6/2023 3.10 pm

Word count: 893