In Joo

My back hurts more than my bruises. Though, I think my side has the most pain. Even breathing hurts.

I try to lay on my side and quietly groan as the pain greets me again with a sword. As I try to find sleep again, my mind haunts me with the memories of her devilish eyes. The shiny stick nearly trespassed my skin. The laughter as I bled. The way her breath smelled like disgusting bile.

I shiver at the memory of her voice. It haunts my dreams and I wish I could just make her disappear. But her revenge lasts with the memories she's impregnated in my mind.

Tears escape my eyes at the memories. Within those moments of torture, I thought of Do-Il after so many months of hating him. For once, I wished he could reappear like he did the last time I was getting tortured. I wish I could feel his warm hold as he helped me out of that pit. I wish I could look into those dark mysterious eyes I would drown into.

But he never came and the hits only turned harder. They were only five hits, but they felt as if they were five thousand. It hurts like a pile of bricks fell on me. My heart is as stiff as my body. For the first time, my heart spoke up words I have buried away when my sister sadly told me that she got fired. After comforting her and telling her that she has a better chance of getting another job than I do, I listened to those words echoing with her footsteps against the old wooden floor of our place.

I hate my life.

This time, the memories behind my closed eyes are more painful than my physical pain. So I slowly start to sit up and limp to the kitchen. In-kyung hears me walk in and immediately comes to take a hold of me.

"What are you doing out of bed? You need to rest, unnie."

"My back hurts from staying in bed all day."

She helps me sit at the chair across from hers on the table and says, "Okay, but let me know when you want to move. I don't want you to hurt yourself." I give her a reassuring nod and watch her go to the freezer with a smile that hides her exhaustion. "Do you want ice cream, unnie?"

I nod with excitement and it makes my head hurt. So I let my muscles relax and gently smile as I take the ice cream. We silently eat our dessert this time. We usually do this when we want to talk out thoughts that have been roaming in our heads throughout the week. It's always just the two of us, but I think including In-hye in our talks would help, too.

I notice In-kyung's notepad and this time it has notes about different job opportunities instead of stories. My heart falls and I gently say, "I'm sure you'll find a job quickly. You're smart and an excellent reporter."

In-kyung does a small smile and nods. "Thanks, unnie. Unfortunately, having a record of suspension for drinking on the job doesn't give a very good image."

"You'll impress them at the interview."

"If they even accept my application."

I give her hand a small slap and her eyes turn wide. "Don't be so pessimistic."

"I'm not being pessimistic," she says with furrowed brows. "I'm being realistic. That's something we should be with our lives. I don't know when you got so naive."

I'm surprised by these words. I know this is not In-kyung speaking. This is our late Great Aunt speaking whenever she's stressed. The memory of her gives me another stab of pain and I keep quiet. In-kyung realizes her words and quickly says, "Sorry. I didn't mean to—"

"It's okay. I understand you're stressed."

"Do you want coffee?"

I smile knowing this has become her replacement for alcohol and nod. "Sure. I made sure to buy coffee beans the last time I went to the grocery store.