Chapter 56: The One With The Trip

"So," I hear Peeta say on the other side of the line. He lets out a held breath and a slight chuckle. He sounds nervous.

"Yes?" I drag out slightly before a giggle.

We've spent maybe an hour on the phone already this evening.

"What are you wearing?" he says, lowly.

"Peeta!" I giddily scold him.

"Shh," he hushes me. "You'll wake the babies."

Babies. Oh, I cannot wait to tell him we're gonna have multiple babies.

"We can't have this kind of call tonight," I warn him.

"And why's that?"

"Wills wants to talk to you," I tell him.

"I miss her," Peeta says. "I'm all alone here... it sucks."

I pout despite the fact he can't see it, "She misses you terribly also."

"I miss you," he adds. "And Rye."

"We all miss you," I say.

"Come visit me," he says.

"What?"

"Come visit me," he demands.

"You know that I would if I could." I say, twirling the phone cord between my fingers.

"You can," he simply says.

"Peeta, I miss you too, but we can't. Dr. Aurelius—"

"Dr. Aurelius wants to see how I do around you without the meds. I've seen clips of things they used in the hijacking and I've not had any kind of reaction."

"He wants me to be a human test subject?" I ask, kind of bitterly.

"That's not— Katniss, I want to see you. He thinks it would be a good idea to test the waters in a controlled setting before letting me around you un-medicated."

"Peeta, I-I d-don't know," I say uneasy. Any other time I wouldn't mind. I can hold my own just fine. But, I'm pregnant. 

"Please," he begs. "I need you."

I could tell him while I'm there, I think. I could tell him now so he understands why I'm hesitant.

"Katniss," he whispers, and I can hear the desperation in his voice.

"Okay," I say, quietly.

I can hear his grin through the phone.

"I have a doctor's appointment coming up—"

"Doctor? Are you sick? What's wrong?"

"I'm fine," I tell him. "It's just a checkup."

It isn't a lie.

I look over at the clock, his sigh of relief dancing through my ear that the phone is pressed against.

"I should go get Willow," I tell him. "I'm surprised mom has been able to keep her occupied for this long."

"Go get my girl," he says.

"Ok, hold on."

I put the phone down on the bed and open the door to holler for our daughter.

"Willow! Daddy's on the phone for you."

Her feet come pattering down the hallway and she runs right past me, and soars through the air as she jumps on the bed to get to the phone.