Chapter 21: The One With Her First Bakery Trip

Today is September 12, marking six weeks since my daughter has entered this world. Six long, magnificent, frustrating, sleepless, joyful weeks of motherhood. My little girl is almost two months old and she's already experienced so much. She's spent time in the hospital being poked and prodded with needles and other medical equipment. She's seen the doctor twice and gotten a clean bill of health both times. She's taken a trip to shop in town, as well as the Train station to see her Nona go back home to District Four. And she's been taking naps in her crib during the day instead of her bassinet.

Even though I knew it was coming and that there was absolutely nothing I could do, I was extremely upset to see my mother go. I missed her so much, and her help throughout the ending of my pregnancy and during the first moments of Willow's life was the best gift I could have ever been given. I loved seeing her interact with her first, and potentially only grandchild. I may have gotten my gift of music from my father, but nothing made my heart happier than hearing my mother constantly sing to my little girl. Whether it was to get her to go to sleep, or to her calm down when she was all worked up the sound always put a smile on my face whenever I would hear it.

Our last hug goodbye brought out the tears I had been pushing back the whole way to the train station. I had to make this trip alone because Peeta had work, which made the whole process harder than it would have originally been had he been there to comfort me. The situation was then made even worse when my mother bid adieu to the baby because Willow would not stop crying. It was like she knew what was happening. Mom promised to come back in a couple months, unless she could come back sooner, and encouraged us to travel to Four as soon as we felt comfortable doing so.

Last night, Peeta suggested we try letting Willow sleep in her crib for the night. I protested because I was worried I wouldn't be able to hear her cry right away. I wanted her to be by my bedside and not several feet away in another room. However, I knew she had been sleeping so well in her room during the day, and she would eventually need to sleep in there at night, so I figured why not at least give it a shot. She slept the whole night through until about 3 a.m. when I tiredly went into the nursery, picked her up out of the crib, fed her, and brought her back to bed with me where I let her sleep on my chest.

The sun shines through a crack in our curtains and right into my eyes, making me stir slightly and waking me up. I move my hands to the area Willow had been resting only to find her not there. In a panic, I hastily open my eyes and look beside me to also find that Peeta isn't there either. I convince myself that the two of them are safe and doing something together either in her room or downstairs. I decide to get out of bed and go to test out my theories. I check the nursery first since it is upstairs and closest to Peeta and I's bedroom. When I don't see the pair of them there, I go down the rest of the hallway and down the stairs. I hear Peeta clanking some dishes around in the kitchen and I know I have at least half of my answer.

"Good morning," Peeta greets me as I step in the kitchen.

"Morning," I go over and hug him, "Where's the baby?" I ask after we share a brief kiss.

"She's sleeping in her swing."

"I could have sworn she woke up really early this morning and I brought her in our room and laid her on my chest because she was being difficult about going back to sleep. But I'm also really exhausted so I'm probably just going crazy," I laugh weakly.

"You did. When I woke up, I saw her laying on her belly against your chest. You were zonked, but she was wide awake, playing and making all kinds of cooing noises."

"Awe," I say, feeling my heart melt.

"She's smart," Peeta tells me. "She saw me looking at her and she started pinching up her face like she was going to cry, so I picked her up and brought her down here to let you get some extra rest."