Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Fear raced through me, heightening my senses. My heart pounded as I tried to understand what was happening.

A loud whir of some sort of helicopter's rotors hovered overhead, growing louder and louder by the second. The flying object sounded massive as its blades roared through the bright sky, but despite the noise it made, I couldn't see anything. Theo came from behind and pushed both Samuel and I forward. "Run. Now," he yelled as he forced us along the path.

My legs burned as we zigzagged through the trees, fleeing from the massive machine.

Suddenly, Theo looked back at me. "Esa, in a few seconds you need to jump," he yelled through deep gasps.

My lungs burned as I tried to process what he had said and somehow respond. Jump. We have to jump.

The flying machine was getting closer. Another bullet whizzed by my head and hit a nearby tree, leaving a hole in its trunk. Ducking behind a branch, Theo tapped on his medallion.

"Jump!" Theo yelled, grabbing my hand and pulling me forward as we all leaped into the abyss.

Flashes of light surrounded me, and I clutched Samuel's hand. I could feel a cool breeze on my face and knew I was falling, but for some reason, I didn't feel scared.

Samuel squeezed my hand. "You ready?"

"Ready?" I began to ask, before realizing it was too late for questions. The vibrant ring of colors was gone and we were standing in the middle of a street. A large crowd began to run toward us.

"Theo, wrong year!" Samuel tugged at his medallion and we were suddenly sitting in a large dumpster.

"You're an idiot," Theo said. "At least I didn't put us in the trash! Hold on, Esa. Obviously, we are having technical difficulties today."

Theo touched his medallion again, and this time we found ourselves sitting on the edge of a dark, cobblestone sidewalk surrounded by overgrown bushes and trees. The air was cold and the smell of fire wafted from somewhere nearby. In the distance, the faint sound of laughter could be heard, echoing through the darkness.

"Where are we?" I asked, my lips trembling.

Samuel leaned toward me. "Just hold on."

"We're in the year 1910," Theo whispered, putting his finger to his lips and pulling me behind a large bush.

We crouched out of sight as a horse ambled down the street. Its hooves made a clicking sound against the small stones. The horse and its rider seemed like they were in no hurry to get to wherever they were going in the darkness.

"Holy cow!"

Samuel clamped his hand over my mouth to stop any further conversation.

My eyes widened from his reaction. We had just seen a horse, whose rider wore a dark velvet coat and top hat and carried a lantern, and I wasn't allowed to ask a question?

"Shhh." He kept his hand over my mouth, and we watched as the horse continued to meander down the path.

Finally, it disappeared around a dark curve, out of sight, and Samuel released me. I was furious at my two travel companions. Their responses to my questions had been limited and annoying.

"Was that real? Did that really just happen?"

"Esa, we are in the year 1910. It's a year we visit often because their technology is limited and people aren't trying to kill us."

"1910? We're really in 1910? That's amazing," Memories of my American History class filled my thoughts.

"Yes. Do you believe us now? That we can jump through time?" Samuel asked in a loud whisper.

"I don't know what to believe anymore. It's all so unreal."

"I'm not sure I would understand, either, if suddenly someone told me all the stuff we've unloaded on you over the past few hours, but everything is true. Deep down inside you have to know we are telling you the truth." Samuel looked over at me. "I'd love to stay here and chat some more, but it's cold and we have no extra clothes to cover our suits."

We walked in silence down a small path toward a cottage where a candle burned in the window.

"Esa, go ahead and knock."

"Why me? I don't even know where we are at right now," I asked, spinning to look at them both.

Theo rolled his eyes. "Stop questioning us." Enough said. He didn't look like someone to cross right now.

I lifted my right hand knocked on the thick wood. We waited in the silence until a small, older woman opened the door with a smile on her face.

"You came back for a visit," she said looking past me and smiling at Theo.

"Hello, Mary." Theo wrapped his arms around her in a big bear hug, and she responded.

She finally pulled away and waved us forward. "Come in. Come in." A fire was burning in the small brick fireplace. It was almost stuffy inside the little dwelling.

Mary smiled, and her eyes widened in delight, as she looked from Theo to Samuel and then to me. "You finally found her?"

"Yes, and we were just beginning to explain everything when soldiers descended and forced us to jump." Theo walked over to a large chair sitting off to the side in Mary's living room. The entire cottage was full of clutter. It was nothing like the place in 2105.

"How long has it been since one of us last paid you a visit?" Samuel asked.

"I saw a few of you last week, but I got worried because Luther stopped by one night and said we needed to talk. Before we had a chance to do so, he was gone. Please tell him I'd love to see him and look forward to him jumping back here."

"Did he say anything else?" Theo asked as he leaned his head back on her couch.

"No. He did what you are doing right now. He came inside, sat down, and when I returned, he was gone."

"Hmm. I'll talk to him," Samuel said. "We once again needed somewhere to escape to where we knew we'd be safe from the soldiers. Your place is always the first we think about because we know you'll take care of us."

Mary nodded. "Well, you're certainly able to stay here. I welcome the company. It's been too quiet lately."

I settled on another couch perpendicular to the one on which Theo sat. I didn't want to be too close to him right now. The coziness of the cottage made me realize I hadn't slept in a while. I was exhausted. There was still more for me to understand, but it was no use to contemplate that now. I leaned my head back on the scratchy fabric and closed my eyes.