10

CADEN LEE

The music is booming as I pull up. Teenagers fill the suburban home as I spot drunks passed out onto the sidewalk and groups stumbling and slurring. It's everything a high school party should be.

My car parks and I force the door open and closed with a grunt. I'm not sure if I'll end up knowing anyone here, but it's worth a shot. It didn't mean much, but the sheer thought of Jessie and my mom finding out about my weed is bad enough for me to hurl. They just wouldn't get it, they would think Im someone I'm not and it would get way too messy.

So I make my way up the front steps, knocking on the door lightly three times and watching as it opens and a girl stumbles up to the front door. "Cade! Hey!" It's Lea, that girl from the party. Her blonde hair is light and wavy, a red slick dress accentuating her hips. She pulls me in for a hug, "I didn't know you'd come."

"Just a spur-of-the-moment decision" I reply breathily into her collarbone. My breath warm against her cool skin.

"You have those a lot?" She laughs, referencing my last part which had ended up as an impulsive decision. With a muted laugh I nod, and she grabs my elbow to drag me away from the exit. The door clicks shut once more and the party resumes to its earlier pace. A crowd of people jump repeatedly to some loud, intense-beat I don't recognize, and I spot a cooler and a dispenser of punch in the kitchen.

"If you'll just let me," I mutter to Lea, and she nods with an understanding smile. "You know where to find me" and that I do.

The kitchen is modern, and the countertops are cool to the touch when I lean against them. I originally go for a beer, trying to embark in my inner frat-bro and all that, but the minute the sip of the beer reaches the tip of my tongue I'm taking a quick sweep of the kitchen and pouring the can out. And hey, it might be a waste, but you'd do it too if you were in my situation.

I end up taking a solo cup filled to-the-brim with punch, feeling a bit like a loser but after a few sips at least I feel like a loose loser. I'm guaranteed to get shitfaced with how much they've probably spiked this stuff.

I make my way over to the couch sitting in the main room, sectioned a little away from the dancing crowd but still close enough to have to dodge a few stray limbs. The punch tastes bitter on my tongue, but it's loads better than the beer, so I sip it greedily in search of something to do.

The couch dips beside me and I see Lea's face pop up again in my peripheral vision. "Having fun?"

"Not really," I sigh, fiddling with the rim of my plastic cup and looking her in the eyes. Her eyes linger on mine for a bit too long, "Well, I know a way you can have more fun."

"Like what?"

Her teeth gleam when she smiles wickedly, winking once before bouncing up from her previous spot, holding out a hand to hoist me up. "Come on, I'll show you."

Like, what? Hook up?

Resisting the urge to roll my eyes, I place my hand in here and let her drag me once more. It's better than sitting here looking like a total loser. As we make our way through the winding hallways of the house, I notice the lights seem to get darker and the noise fades out to an echo.

We come to a closed door. "Okay, ready to tell me what we're doing?" I raise an eyebrow, pulling my hand from hers and gesturing wildly to the door. Infuriatingly, she just puts a finger to her lips and pushes the door open. What greets me is a whole lot of pink, girly-girl stuff I haven't seen since Jessie's room had this phase too.

"Your room?" I echo my confusion, looking around in astonishment as the door clicks shut behind me. "My room," she confirms, "now come sit down, I have a surprise for you." She pats the bed next to her, a perfectly-manicured hand resting gently on the fuzzy duvet.