Prologue

Prologue
Three years ago...

Sebastian Olivarius
Fērox

Sebastian stood in front of the mirror fidgeting with his uniform. He hated how ridiculous he looked in uniform, it looked nothing like him.

Sebastian was now rethinking his decision to accept his offer to the school. Bellātor was not his scene whatsoever and was much more disciplined than he was used to. He really was just going because it's what his mom wanted. She was beloved on the school board once upon a time.

Part of him wondered if it was a pity offer but his aunt pointed out this couldn't be true because he was in the prodigy program, to which Sebastian responded that it's only because his mother was.

There were five programs, all specialized. Named after Latin words because the school was that old. Amaranthine were the art kids, the creative ones. Animus was science and nature based or something. Sebastian wasn't entirely sure. He just knew they liked plants and were all some kind of activists. Niveous was a more politically driven program. Focused on history and English, they tended to become lawyers or boring rule-abiding citizens contributing to the world. Orphic were the overachievers essentially. This program was all maths and some sciences. Lastly there was his program, Fērox. Okay maybe these were the overachievers. These were the students that fit into more than one specialized program and took a more broad selection of classes.

Snarling at the mirror, he spun around and flopped onto his bed back first. He looked up at the ceiling before letting out a long sigh. At home there was no curfew, very little rules, almost no authority... Bellātor to him was like prison.

Bellātor had curfews, millions of rules, constant surveillance, heavy workload, overachieving students, etc. Not only this but Sebastian knew there was a boy in his grade who was the son of someone his mother hated. Something Alcado. His mother is the school board director, or dean or something. Supposedly -according to his aunt- Mrs. Alcado threatened his mothers position at the school and the pair never quite got along.

There was a knock at the door and Sebastian mumbled for them to enter. In came a girl with dyed bright red hair. "Hello."

Sebastian quirked an eyebrow. "Uh, yes?"

"I'm Sakiya Hayashi." She smiled. Not so much a sweet smile but just a very bland smile.

"Alright," he responded dryly. Already by her attitude of barging into his room on the first day, he figured he wouldn't like this girl.

She dropped the smile to a more stern face. "Do you know how conversations work? What's your name?"

"I know how conversations work. I'm just actively choosing not to partake in this one," Sebastian retorted. Moments passed of silence where she just stared at him waiting for him to respond. She either wasn't catching the hint which likely was impossible given Sebastian's face or the ladder, she just didn't care. "Sebastian."

"Okay. Cool," she said calmly before making her way to her roommate's bed to sit.

"Why are you here?" Sebastian asked, quite astounded by Sakiya's forwardness.

Sakiya responded with a shrug before continuing, "When you weren't dressed in these bland uniforms you looked like someone I'd talk to at home. Everyone looks very uptight. But you- you look depressed and miserable."

Sebastian gave her the most apathetic face. "I'll take that as a compliment." This felt like some stupid part of the movie where the outcasts bonded over hating everything.

"Figured you would," she said with a grin. "Anyway, what's your full name?"

Sebastian fidgeted as he sat up properly to face her. "Sebastian Olivarius, why does it matter?"