8 ~ tardiness

Emily’s POV

Emily’s POV

I adjusted my outfit for the nth time, nervousness rolling off of me like waves. It was my first day and my dad decided to send me out of the office for my first task. I had a meeting with Primer and for one, we were already five minutes late.

It wasn’t my fault, it was the driver’s fault. He ran off to wherever and I had to wait for him for thirty minutes, the thirty minutes that would have been enough time to get us to Primer’s Head Quarters.

I felt the driver steal a glance at me through the rearview mirror and I looked up to meet his gaze.

“Will you drive and stop looking at me?” I snapped and he looked away.

“We’re almost there ma’am.” Ngozi, the woman who was to assist me on the project that dad assigned me to said, her eyes meeting mine through the rearview mirror.

I nodded, saving my saliva for words that were worth it. I was to make a good first impression but I was doing the exact opposite. I only hoped the people I was meeting at Primer had a little tolerance for tardiness.

The car finally halted and when I looked through the windscreen, I knew we were at our destination.

“Stay in the car, or this time, I’ll fire you.” I said to the driver and he responded but I was out of the car before I could hear his response.

I took a deep breath and looked up at the Primer building. It was just as big and tall as Odits Tech, if not bigger. The time on my watch read we were ten minutes late and I straightened myself, moving my handbag from my left hand to my right.

“Shall we?” I said to Ngozi and she nodded.

I followed her into the building and just at the reception, there was someone waiting for us. She took over leading the way and we followed, Ngozi now falling into step beside me.

The elevator was thankfully empty so I had room to breathe. The doors opened on the twentieth floor and the woman we were following stepped out, we followed her. She led us to where I guessed was the conference room before she walked away. Ngozi pushed open the door while I said a silent prayer, hoping things would go well.

“Odits Tech, you’re never late, I hope all is well.” A familiar voice said just as we stepped into the room.

I nearly lost my balance, my knees almost giving out on me. He was right there. The man that had invaded my dreams last night was right in front of me and as if life hated me enough, I was supposed to give a presentation to him and his crew. I will give a thanksgiving offering in church if I don’t fuck up.

“We apologize,” I said, with an apologetic smile, hoping it didn’t look awkward or scare them off.

“Emily, good to see you again.” Irvin said, offering me handshake and a smile of his own.