Chapter 40

Halloween:

Since it was Halloween today, the kids were allowed to wear their costumes to school. The little ones were very excited to show their friends the Halloween costumes. Caleb had the day off as the teachers were at a teachers' conference so he helped get the little ones ready for school. Levi and Matty ran around the house while Caleb tried hard to put makeup on Benjamin. "Benny, hold still or it won't work." he said. He sat his little brother on a chair. "Are you okay?" Matt asked, coming into the kitchen with Hayden in his arms. "Benny's fidgeting all the time." Caleb said. Matt sat Hayden at the breakfast table and walked over to the kitchen helping Kelly and Stella prepare breakfast. "Fine done. Off you go." Caleb said and Benjamin ran to the others. "Now it's our turn." Layla and Kayla called, who came into the kitchen in their princess costumes. "Yes, I'm out. Mom, it's your turn." Caleb said, standing up. "Then you help the others prepare breakfast." Stella said and sat down in Caleb's place. Caleb went into the kitchen, got plates, cups and cutlery and set the table. "We've got a tired Dalmatian at the table." Caleb said, stroking Hayden's cheek. Hayden slapped Caleb's hand away and buried his face in his arms. "Hey, what's up?" Caleb asked. "What are you doing again? Are you teasing him again?" Matt asked, placing a bowl of sliced ​​fruit on the table. "I did not do anything. Hayden was like that." Caleb said. "What's up buddy? Aren't you feeling alright?" Matt asked, grabbing his forehead. "Stay here." Hayden said, tears filling his eyes. "Hey, come here. What's going on?" Matt asked, picking him up. "What's going on with you guys?" Kelly asked. He put the plate of pancakes and waffles on the table and straightened Hayden's helmet. "The little man wants to stay here. Don't want to explain why though." Matt said. "What's happening? Caleb teasing you again?" Kelly asked. Caleb rolled his eyes. "I don't think he would want to stay here voluntarily if I teased him." he said. "Good point." Kelly said. "So, you want to stay home today and not show your friends your cool Halloween costume?" Matt asked. Hayden nodded. "Okay, then I'll leave him at home today. Maybe he'll tell us later what's going on." Matt said and put him back on the chair. "So, you're done." Stella said. Layla and Kayla sat down at the table. "Girls, you look great." Kelly said. "We know. We're real princesses, too." Kayla said. Caleb sat across from the two of them and just shook his head. "Caleb, will you get the others so we can have breakfast?" Stella asked. "Of course." Caleb said and stood up. "BREAKFAST IS READY!" Caleb yelled. "I didn't mean it like that." Stella said as he walked back into the kitchen. "I know, but this is the quickest way." Caleb said and at the same moment Levi Benjamin and Matty ran into the kitchen. "See." Caleb said and Stella just smiled and shook her head. After breakfast, the kids got into the family van and Kelly and Matt drove them to school. On the way back Matt got a WhatsApp message from Stella. "You, okay?" Kelly asked. "Stella just texted me. Sylvie went into labor." Matt said. "They also. Man, it seems the babies are in a hurry to be born this time." Caleb said. "Yay, baby." Hayden said excitedly. Kelly accelerated and pulled into the driveway at the same time as the ambulance. Matt got out of the car and ran into the house. "Caleb, are you taking care of Hayden?" Kelly asked. "Yes, of course." Caleb said, unbuckling Hayden. "How about I give you some cool makeup and we play in the backyard?" Caleb suggested. "Yeah." Hayden said excitedly, jumping up and down. "Come on then." Caleb said and took him into the house. The Halloween makeup case was still in the kitchen and Caleb sat Hayden on the chair. "Kayab." Hayden said. "What's up?" Caleb asked, rubbing cream on Hayden's face, so that the make-up sticks better. "Do we have to go away now?" Hayden asked shyly. "Do the other kids tease you about that? Is that why you didn't want to go to daycare?" Caleb asked. Hayden nodded and rubbed his eyes. "Okay, listen to me. Just because we now have 3 new family members doesn't mean you're suddenly less important to us. Your family and always will be." Caleb said. "Really?" Hayden asked. "For real. And I'll tell you something else. Your parents got to choose you, your friends' parents didn't have a choice but shhh, that's our secret." Caleb said and hugged him tightly. "Well, you 2. Everything good?" Kelly asked, who now came into the kitchen. "Yes, everything is fine. How is Aunt Sylvie?" Caleb asked. "They are now on the way to the hospital. They'll be in touch as soon as there's anything new," Kelly said. Hayden stood and Kelly picked him up. "Hey little man. You look great in your Paw Patrol costume." Kelly said. "Kayab said he would play with me in the garden." Hayden said. "Well then I don't want to keep you any longer." Kelly said and let him down again. "You go ahead. I'll be right there." Caleb said and Hayden ran outside. "What's going on?" Kelly asked. "Hayden is teased in kindergarten for being adopted. Though I don't quite see how 3–4-year-old can understand that." Caleb said. "Kids that age understand what's going on around them pretty quickly and absorb whatever adults tell them." Kelly said. "So basically, the parents have a problem with Hayden being adopted and not his classmates?" Caleb asked. "It's possible." Kelly said, shrugging his shoulders. "I do not understand that. It's not they're problem, why are they interfering?" Caleb asked. "I do not know that either. Some people just like to get involved in things they have no idea about. But we don't care. We're family and always will be." Kelly said, kissing Caleb on the head. "Kayab, where are you?" Hayden asked from the garden. "I'm coming...you hear it, duty calls." Caleb said and walked outside. Kelly watched him go, smiling. "Well, how are the two of who stayed at home?" Stella asked, who now came into the kitchen with the twins and Lydia. "Caleb found out what was wrong with Hayden." Kelly said, getting a water from the fridge. "And? What happened?" Stella asked. "Hayden apparently gets teased in kindergarten because he's adopted." Kelly said. "Kids can be cruel." Stella said. "Not ours." Kelly smiled and kissed her. "You're right." Stella said and kissed him too.

In the afternoon, Kelly, Stella, Caleb and Hayden picked the others up from school and drove them to the hospital. "Alright guys. Ready to meet your little brother?" Maggie asked as the whole gang entered the ER. "My bubby." Matty said. "Quiet Matty. I'm sure she means no harm." Caleb said, pulling him back on the t-shirt with his free hand. April led them to Sylvie's room and knocked on the door. Suddenly Caleb's phone rang. "You guys go ahead, I'll be right there in a minute." Caleb said. April opened the door for them and Matty and Hayden burst into the room. "Mommy." they both said at the same time. "Hey boys. How was your day?" Sylvie asked. "Kayab played Paw Patrol with me." Hayden said. "Did he?" Sylvie asked. "Where's Caleb anyway?" Matt asked, holding his newborn son in his arms. "He got a call." Kelly said. "May I hold him too?" Julian asked. "Sure, of course. Sit down." Matt said. Julian sat on the bed and Matt put the baby in his arms. Then there was a knock on the door and Caleb stuck his head in the door. "Phew, lucky me. I thought I was in the wrong room again at first." Caleb said and closed the door behind him. "What do you mean again?" Stella asked. I got the door wrong earlier." Caleb said. "Who was it?" Kelly asked. "Bailey. We're going to be canceling the High School Halloween Party this year. Both Annabelle and Talia aren't allowed to come because we're fresh in high school. So, neither of us will go." Caleb said. "Shall we talk to the parents?" Stella asked. "I don't think that will do anything. Apparently Chief Boden tried to talk Herrmann into it as well." Caleb said. "How do you know that?" Sylvie asked. "Annabelle told Bailey that Cindy called Boden." Caleb said. "And why can't Talia?" Andrew asked. "Her parents have always been a bit overprotective. Talia is an only child and before she was born her mother had 3 or 4 miscarriages." Caleb explained. "I see. Okay." Andrew said. "Her parents didn't even want her to hang out with us because they thought we were a bad influence on her. Her parents work at the Italian Embassy." Caleb said. "Well, that explains a lot. We have a boy in our class whose parents work at the French embassy. Whenever we try to befriend him, he completely blocks it." Andrew said. "Cliché right, diplomatic status." Matt said. "What do you mean?" Caleb asked. "Well, people who have diplomatic status are always portrayed in movies and books as loners. They always think they are something better. Seems to be the same in real life." Matt explained. "Never mind. All I know is that Talia isn't like that. She made contact from the start and we don't see her as someone either special." Caleb said. "And what are you doing now?" Kelly asked. "Maybe it will work out next year. Then we are already in the 2nd year of high school." Caleb said and sat down next to Julian. "Does that mean you're going trick or treating with us?" Kayla asked. "If you still want to go." Caleb said. "Don't you want to know the little one's name?" Matt asked. The kids looked at each other. "Yes, of course. We are sorry. What's his name?" Caleb asked. "Jason Jaron." Matt said. "Now we have 2 JJ's in the family." Andrew said. "Don't worry Juli. You'll stay JJ number 1. He'll be JJ number 2." Caleb said. The kids, Stella and Kelly, stayed in the hospital for a few more hours and then went home.