The Art Of The Self

Maddie hadn't seen Casey for about a week, apparently Rikki had told the girls and Matthew about what happened between them because the crew actively avoided talking about him when Maddie was around. 

MerClub was out on one of its group swims, minus Casey, and Emma decided to do to speed loops before they all swam into the Moon Pool. Rikki was the first to speak, addressing Emma, "Show off."

Cleo pointed out, "I thought we were coming out here to relax."

Emma smiled, "We are and you can relax at my place; for the whole weekend. My parents are going away."

Maddie asked, "Where to?"

"A crystalware convention." Rikki gave Emma a weird look, so Emma explained, "My mom collects figurines." 

"You know, the worst part about that is I'm not even surprised."

"Sorry, Matt, but the invitation does not extend to boys."

"I figured, no worries Em," Matt stated.

Emma turned to the rest of us, "So, how about it?"

Cleo sighed, "I can't stay over. Dad's working and I have to look after Kim."

"I'll be there," Maddie smiled, "I just have to let Ms. Emese know."

"Cool. Rikki?"

"A sleepover in my jim-jams? You're kidding right?"

Maddie gave her an eyebrow, but knew Rikki was uncomfortable about sharing her personal life with the others, so she floated silently as Emma answered, "Yeah, it's not really Rikki's scene."

Rikki changed her mind quickly though, "Then again, you've got cable, a widescreen TV, and hot and cold running snacks. Why not? I'll be there."

Cleo smiled, "Excellent!"

Maddie then smirked at Rikki, "Race you to the rocks?"

"You're on!"

As Maddie and Rikki arrived at Emma's place and got settled in, Emma started laying down some ground rules, "Listen, my parents like order. This house runs like a well-oiled machine. They don't like people who mess around."

Maddie knew she was directing her statements more toward Rikki than her and decided not to get between them, "I'll be outside, sunbathing if you need me."

Maddie grabbed her sun-tanning lotion and thanked Emma mom as she passed by her, heading out to the backyard. Maddie made sure to pick the seat furthest from the pool and began applying the lotion. Maddie came in as the sun was going down and asked, "Want to pop in a movie before hitting the hay?"

Emma smiled, "That sounds like a great idea Maddie."

"Cool, I'm just going to go upstairs and get changed." As Maddie went upstairs she knocked on Emma's parent's door, "Mrs. Gilbert?"

"Yes, Maddie?"

"I was wondering if you could wake me up when you guys are getting ready to leave. I've been trying recently to get up early and go on a run, but I still keep sleeping past my alarms."

"Well, that's no problem at all, consider it done."

"Thank you." Maddie then got changed and help Elliot pop the popcorn as Rikki and Emma fought about what movie to watch. Maddie knew she should probably be playing referee, but frankly she actually did want a break this weekend, which was why she wanted to be woken up early, going out on a morning swim by herself sounded much more relaxing than waking up to Emma and Rikki fighting about what to have for breakfast.