Hacienda

7/11/88

My mam pushed me out of the door that morning and practically forced me down to school. She was saying she was sending back to school because 'I was glued to her hip' which I wasn't. I did need to start going back to school tho.

I had work straight after school but I was off at 8, so I was only in work for 4 hours. I put a change of clothes in my school bag and left. I decided to walk to school on my own and not be late for once.

I wasn't sure why I decided I need to start going to school instead of just bunking off like usually did and telling my mam I went in when I didn't.

My first class was maths and then I had food tech and French. For the whole of maths I just starred out the window. Food tech was the same I just starred out the window. Liam wasn't in that day and Anna wasn't gonna be in till after lunch.

Noah tried to talk to me and tried to ask me to go with him again sometime. I declined and said I was busy when I knew it was a lie and I just wasn't bothered for it.

By the time it was lunch I was over the day and wanted to go home and I did. I walked home and realised I didn't have a key so I had to hop the back wall.

Once I got in the house I went to go upstairs but heard rustling. 'what the fuck' I thought to myself. I opened my bedroom door and Daisy has the blankets up to her neck. "Jesus beth! I thought you were me mam for fuck sakes"

"Why aren't you in school dase" I put my bag on the floor and took the clothes out of it began getting changed. "What the fuck are you doing!"

"Getting changed what dose it look like"

"Not in here get out"

"Why can't I get changed in me own room ye weirdo" then I realised she wasn't alone. Noel's head popped up out of the blankets. I hurried to cover my chest before he saw something. Even tho it wasn't something he never saw before. "Can't even get changed in me own poxy room"

I walked out of the room to finish getting changed on the landing.

————

I ended up just chilling around the house all day and doing nothing till it was time to go to work. It wasn't raining on the way there which was good. The shop was busy with kids coming in after school and getting sweets. Liam came in and chatted to me for awhile.

He was at the till talking to me drinking so energy drink. "Wanna come over te mine the weekend. Ye could come Saturday and stay if your mam let's ye"

"Yeah I'll say she will. I'm not working the weekend so"

The shift continued as normal and Liam left saying he had to get home. I walked home the normal way and me mam noel and Daisy were in the house. They were just sitting down the stairs looking at the photo albums of when me daisy and Tommy were kids and some of other family members. I sat on the floor beside Daisy and looked at them with them. "Jesus I look so scruffy, my god mam what did you have us in"

"Daisy your about 3 in that relax"

Noel took a picture of me posting for the camera out of one of the photo albums "Beth you were such a little poser"

"Mam did I just get you to follow me around and take pictures" I took the picture from Noel's hand to examine. "Yeah you loved getting your picture. No film was left with you"

We looked at the photos in albums for a little longer before me mam needed to go to work. Daisy helped her put the pictures back up in the attic. It was just me and noel left in the sitting room.

"Eh beth"

I looked over at him to see what he wanted. "The stone roses are playing in the hacienda The weekend and I asked your sister to go but she Doesn't want to and has work the next day" he looked nervous to ask me "d'ye wanna come with me"