BIGGER THAN THE WHOLE SKY

song: bigger than the whole sky by taylor swift

"Have you heard the news?" Chaeyoung greeted Nayeon who was facing her computer as she entered their apartment, her night classes now finish.

"What news?" the older girl asked without tearing her eyes away from her computer.

She heard the younger girl sigh as she placed her bag on the desk just beside hers. "About Jeongyeon-unnie? Not yet?"

Unconsciously, Nayeon's brows furrowed. She thinks she has an idea now of what's this about. "Just go straight to the point, Chaeyoung-ah. I'm busy," she mumbled, her heart beat racing a little bit faster than how it was just seconds ago.

Chaeyoung gulped as she sat down her gaming chair beside Nayeon's, watching how her facial expression change. "Jeongyeon-unnie's dating."

Nayeon was expecting it. She already had an idea after stalking her ex's Twitter account just days ago. Although, during that time, she haven't confirmed it yet but now that Chaeyoung's heard and told her about it, she didn't know how to feel.

She wanted to ask the younger girl where she heard about it, who told her, and if it's really true but refrained herself from doing so. She's supposed to not care—at all. It's the character she's been playing all along, she couldn't be out of if. Her pride can't take it.

"Really? Good for her," she tried to sound as nonchalant as she can.

Chaeyoung sighed. "Are you okay?" worry filled the younger girl's voice and Nayeon noticed this, that's when she tore her gaze off her computer, giving the younger girl a smile—a fraud that she've already mastered.

"Of course, it's what I want for her," Nayeon assured Chaeyoung.

The younger girl sighed for the nth time when the older girl immediately looked away from her eyes. "Okay. Well, I'm going to shower now," Nayeon hummed as she stood up, "And please, move your face away from your computer screen, wear your glasses!"

When Nayeon heard her footsteps fade upstairs, she let go of her mouse and looked down at her keyboard, tears threatening to fall down her cheeks. It hurts. It hurts a lot. She felt like the walls of their appartment are squeezing her, trapping, suffocating her.

Regrets and questions occupied her head. How? Why? What ifs and only if Is.

She stayed like that for a moment before picking herself back up. I still have a major project to finish. Damn it, she thought.

‹𝟹

The older girl sighed as she watched herself in the mirror. She was wearing a short, red dress with black angel wings and a 'devil' tail behind her. They were about to attend a late halloween party which Momo—a friend of hers and Chaeyoung's—held for her birthday this year.

She did not want to go because 1) she's lazy, 2) she isn't prepared, and 3) Jeongyeon's going to be there and there are hearsays that she'll bring her new girl.

Nayeon tried talking to Momo, insisting that she won't and can't go but the younger girl threatened her of their friendship being over.

"And I thought you're over her?" she remembered Momo ask her.

Right. She is over her—at least she's been pretending to and they always fall for it so why make them doubt about it now, right? It's just a party. Many people would be there, it's going to be loud and dark, she won't notice her ex. Plus, she can just go home if she wants to.

Nayeon took a deep breath before grabbing her 'horns', and her devil wand before slipping into her black, 6-inch stilletos.

"Ha, your costume suits you so much," she almost jumped when Chaeyoung appeared behind her.